Undocumented and at large in Colonia

starlucia

Registered
So today, 5 minutes after I'd gotten off the Buquebus and stepped foot into the Colonia terminal, I realized I was at large in Uruguay... with no entrance stamp to prove I'd been allowed in (the BA-side migrations official had given me an Argentina salida stamp, but nothing for Uruguay.) Not wanting any problems when I re-boarded later that evening, I flagged down a chick from Migraciones and asked: was the lack of a Uruguay stamp at all odd? First, she freaking tore me a new one for "living in Argentina" and blatantly going to Colonia on the 90th day of my visa (side note: girlfriend needed to check her dates, as I only live in Argentina 5-6 months a year and have only been to Colonia once, in June 2010.) Then, she informed me that yes, I should have received my Uruguay stamp in Buenos Aires, and that the guy at migrations must have -- oops!-- forgotten. She then proceeded to drop the bomb that, even though she realized this glitch was not my fault, the lack of stamp might or might not result in a UR $700 fine upon leaving Uruguay that evening (depending on whether the official checking my passport noticed it or not.) Thank goodness my re-entry experience fell into the latter category, and I slid back into Argentina with a fresh new tourist visa, but I certainly was a basketcase all afternoon.

In retrospect, I'm not that fazed by the episode since I'm leaving in January away (and I did score a kilo of Swiss Frey chocolate for US $20 in the duty-free shop, which kinda makes the whole thing worth it)... but WTF? How does a migrations official just forget to stamp a passport? That's their whole reason for existing, to stamp the damn passports. And how can other migrations employees condone and advise fining a tourist AR$200 for what they know to be said official's mistake? Argentina... you have finally reached the height of absurdity. It's time to go.

starlucia said:
So today, 5 minutes after I'd gotten off the Buquebus and stepped foot into the Colonia terminal, I realized I was at large in Uruguay... with no entrance stamp to prove I'd been allowed in (the BA-side migrations official had given me an Argentina salida stamp, but nothing for Uruguay.) Not wanting any problems when I re-boarded later that evening, I flagged down a chick from Migraciones and asked: was the lack of a Uruguay stamp at all odd? First, she freaking tore me a new one for "living in Argentina" and blatantly going to Colonia on the 90th day of my visa (side note: girlfriend needed to check her dates, as I only live in Argentina 5-6 months a year and have only been to Colonia once, in June 2010.) Then, she informed me that yes, I should have received my Uruguay stamp in Buenos Aires, and that the guy at migrations must have -- oops!-- forgotten. She then proceeded to drop the bomb that, even though she realized this glitch was not my fault, the lack of stamp might or might not result in a UR $700 fine upon leaving Uruguay that evening (depending on whether the official checking my passport noticed it or not.) Thank goodness my re-entry experience fell into the latter category, and I slid back into Argentina with a fresh new tourist visa, but I certainly was a basketcase all afternoon.

In retrospect, I'm not that fazed by the episode since I'm leaving in January away (and I did score a kilo of Swiss Frey chocolate for US $20 in the duty-free shop, which kinda makes the whole thing worth it)... but WTF? How does a migrations official just forget to stamp a passport? That's their whole reason for existing, to stamp the damn passports. And how can other migrations employees condone and advise fining a tourist AR$200 for what they know to be said official's mistake? Argentina... you have finally reached the height of absurdity. It's time to go.

Argentina might be absurd, but this was an Uruguayan's fault.

Glad you scored the chocolate. I scored a new hot water kettle, some Murphy's stout, some good tequila, a 3rd World Smart Phone, and a cast iron Provoleta Uruguaya cooking tray that can be used on the stove top, in the oven, or on a parrilla.

I had a hassle with the Uruguayan customs agent as well because I misplaced my entrance paper from 4 days before. (It was in a bag checked straight through from Montevideo through Colonia to Buenos Aires.) While I barely made the boat because they had to yank my bag back off the boat so I could go through it, an Argentine in our group told the customs agent that she lost all of the entrance papers for the rest of the expats in our group (Brits, Shankees, & a Frenchie) and they ended up letting everyone through without the paper that was so vital that I found...

:rolleyes:

This whole episode reminds of a trip I took to Mexico about 7 years ago.

I flew from LA to DF (Mexico City) where I changed planes to fly to Cancun. We were late, so the airline whisked us through the airport and we never went through immigration. Or maybe we were supposed to go through immigration at our gate to fly out. (My Spanish was non-existent back then.)

So after my long weekend in Cancun, I returned for about 4 days in DF.

When I went to the airport to catch my early flight out, I was told that I didn't have the proper stamp, so I tried to explain what had happened when I came in and that it was the airline's fault if I didn't have the proper stamp, because I was just going where I was told to go. She didn't like this answer.

That's when she said: "You are ILLEGAL in this country."

To which I responded: "Then DEPORT ME."

She was visibly annoyed that I wasn't scared. I was apologetic, but not intimidated and she wanted to see fear.

To leave I had to get a stamp from an office in the airport that didn't open until 9:00am and my flight was at about 9:45am. When the office opened promptly at 9:15am, a couple of people were in front of me and there was definitely no hurry to get them taken care of. Then when I was up, I was told that I should have received the stamp when I came into the airport and that there would be a ~US$50 fine (or more) for not getting it.

I informed them that I was well aware (by now) that I should have received the stamp and that because of the airline's actions, I didn't have one. And that I would not be paying the fine, but that the airline would if there was a fine to be paid. After being told twice more that I owed money for a fine, the guy finally stamped my passport without getting his coima and I of course missed my flight. But since LA is the 2nd largest Mexican city in the world, there were other flights that day on MEXICANA and I just got about 5 extra hours to nap back at my hostel and to spend money on worthless crapo in the ZOCALO Feria right next to the main cathedral in town.

Nice to see that you made it back.

Back