university teaching in Argentina

austin

Registered
What are the requirements for getting a university teaching job in Argentina? Someone told me that you have to sit for some sort of exam and that schools don't want foreigners, even if they have legal permanent residence. Is any of this true?

i would not even try the public universities as you are entering a political mine...less political (generally!) are the private ones...the best way is to try to find a contact at the target university and ask around, ask to be introduced to the department head...sending resumes without a personal intro will generally not get you very far...

I've only been here a few months but I've talked to a few people in local universities. From what I can see so far there are possibilities for ''en negro'' and legal employment too. I would assume that there will be preference for native speakers over those of us who have English as a second or third language however.

Thanks but is it TRUE that you have to sit for some special exam?

I taught a short term course at UBA without sitting for an exam of any sort. I was interviewed by the department head and the Vice Dean. The only paperwork they required was a Curriculum Vitae and a copy of syllabus for the course.

The course was taught in English and was offered primarily for U.S. undergraduate students studying abroad but was open to regular students as well. Since the target audience was foreign students they could charge tuition, so I think they saw it as an opportunity to add a few dollars for their cash starved budget.

Don't expect much compensation as a part-time instructor. :)

Back