Unlocking An Iphone 5 In Buenos Aires

DCexpatstudent

Registered
There was a thread a few years back on this though of course technology is always changing so I was wondering if anyone currently knows a place to unlock an iPhone 5 from AT&T in the city or someone who would do it and about how much money it costs..

If you've had the phone for a while, you can actually just call AT&T and tell them you've moved out of the US and you'd like to unlock your phone, and they'll give you a code or something. I don't know the exact amount of time, but a friend did it after 9 months. My friend still had an account with AT&T for that phone, I'm not sure if this was a factor. Also, after your contract (usually 2 years), I think you're entitled to unlock it, probably through a similar procedure.

If camel's suggestion doesn't work for your particular circumstances you can always look into:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking

But personally I wouldn't advise it unless you are at pretty confident with computer sciences and related geekyness.

Good Luck!

:D

Could be done here for US$100 , some months ago! Will check again

It sounds you want to free it from the carrier and not jailbreak it. Unlocking it legal in the US now, so if you are with AT&T a phone call should be enough to get it done, and if they are funny about insist that they do it. It will depend on your particular plan though, as you may still owe money on a contract. If you are avoiding (wink wink) contacting AT&T then unlocking a phone is really easy online. A couple I have used are Unlock River and Mobile Unlocked. Both are easy to use and cost about $10 I think, while both are legit too.

If you've had the phone for a while, you can actually just call AT&T and tell them you've moved out of the US and you'd like to unlock your phone, and they'll give you a code or something. I don't know the exact amount of time, but a friend did it after 9 months. My friend still had an account with AT&T for that phone, I'm not sure if this was a factor. Also, after your contract (usually 2 years), I think you're entitled to unlock it, probably through a similar procedure.

It's generally after the term of your contract expires that they will unlock it for no charge, they provide you with a code that you need to input into your phone after you insert a nonAT&T sim card. There are online and in person companies that you can pay to retrieve the unlock code for you, but I would go with one recommended by someone who actually used them as there are a lot of suspect companies as well. Do note that it can take them a little time to get the code and they need the # off your phone only, you should not leave your phone with anyone or let it out of your sight while they're looking at it.

It's generally after the term of your contract expires that they will unlock it for no charge, they provide you with a code that you need to input into your phone after you insert a nonAT&T sim card. There are online and in person companies that you can pay to retrieve the unlock code for you, but I would go with one recommended by someone who actually used them as there are a lot of suspect companies as well. Do note that it can take them a little time to get the code and they need the # off your phone only, you should not leave your phone with anyone or let it out of your sight while they're looking at it.

Generally, but they unlocked mine by telephone after 8 months, and I didn't have to insert another sim to complete the process (just restart it after 24 hours and voila). I have both my ATT sim for when I leave Argentina and my Personal sim card for when I'm here. They unlocked it when I stated I'd be keeping my ATT service, as well (for my work).

I was in your same boat last Jan. iPhone 5S bought in US, locked to AT&T. Thought I'd bring here and unlock online for $10 to 20.
Apparently AT&T changed their policy last year and blocked 3rd party access to their unlocking system. This meant the cheap online unlocks went away.
After much research, I finally found one that was working and was able to unlock. Haven't had a problem in 9 months even when updating software.
https://chronicunlocks.com
Good luck,

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Unfortunately it is still under contract on AT&T but my friend terminated it off their family plan when they moved down here so I'll try that one brandon!

I was in your same boat last Jan. iPhone 5S bought in US, locked to AT&T. Thought I'd bring here and unlock online for $10 to 20.
Apparently AT&T changed their policy last year and blocked 3rd party access to their unlocking system. This meant the cheap online unlocks went away.
After much research, I finally found one that was working and was able to unlock. Haven't had a problem in 9 months even when updating software.
https://chronicunlocks.com
Good luck,

The cost is US$99.99 ??? Here they do it for $800 pesos overnight may be worth ?

Back