Unlocking Movistar Phone To Use With Pre-Pay Sim In Eeuu

lucha54

Registered
Hey all,
I got a phone with a Movistar contract - my first smart phone! It's a Samsung Galaxy Fame.
I love the maps feature and I want to use this when I go to visit the states.
Usually when I go to the States I get a T-Mobile pre-pay card (usually $15usd for the month and I only stay for 2 weeks)

So this time I want to bring this Movistar phone and see if I can get a pre-pay with data for the map function.

Anyone have experience with this?
First, the easy part, a place to unlock the phone here....
Second, whether it will work in the states and recommendations for where to go (if not T-Mobile) for a 3-week pre-pay with data.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY TIPS!!

For the first part: you might try your luck calling Movistar and asking for an unlock code, otherwise I'd try a random phone shop and ask there.
For the second part: I used T-Mobile in the states and it was fine. Alternatively/Additionally, you might want to consider an App that enables you to download offline maps on the phone; while it's not such a big deal in the states as you basically have everywhere good internet, it might come handy in more remote locations where mobile internet is slow or not available (e.g. Argentina :D).

Haha right. The only thing is we are planning a few road trips and will be in cities/regions that I'm not too familiar with (including Los Angeles!) so I prefer a talking voice that tells me where to turn! Thanks for the tip though. Maybe I'll try to go into a Movistar office and bat my eyelashes at a male employee to get an unlock code. (sexist, I know)

Back