Upcoming road trip from Córdoba to Formosa: best route & stuff to see?

camel

Registered
We've seen all the other parts of Argentina, but we haven't seen the northeast part (except for Iguazu falls, where we flew in & out). We'll be driving from Córdoba. What's a good route from Cordoba to Formosa, and what is there to see/do along the way? Anything to avoid or watch out for? Places along the possible routes are: Mar Chiquita, Reconquista, Resistencia, Corrientes. I'm not sure if we'll go all the way to Misiones - is there anything worth going to see there (aside from Iguazu)? I know these are "poor" parts of Argentina, but I've already seen the other parts.

We also may go into to Asunción, Paraguay for a few hours (without the car) if it isn't too hard.

You should go to Santa Fe and the go up by the road 11. I did it many times. No trucks. Nobody in fact. There is were I put my Audi A7 at 300 kms/h.
Be careful because there are 2 road in parallel 100 metres far. One is a provincial road (where La Nata brother crashed). It is destroyed and it is full or yellow starts in the paviment (one per person who died there). Once I was on two wheels.
The other is a national road that is brand new.

Last edited:
Reconquista sucks. It is 50 degrees in summer and nobody though about to plant trees in the city. However, entering the city the is a restaurant calle El cruce that is outstanding for fish.
Once in Formosa there is another jewel called La Rivera where they specialize in Yacare (caiman). Do not order the escabeche, the best is “al paquete”. Its meat is tasteless after being frozen but there is it fresh. It is super good and super cheap.

Just a follow-up. We drove from the Sierras of Cordoba to a city in Chaco called Presedencia Roque Saenz Peña, about 8 hours of driving, and spent the night. The route was RN9 to Quimilí, then northeast on RN89. The roads were paved.. some stretches had some potholes but it was manageable.

Next day drove to Formosa capital by way of Resistencia capital, spent 2 nights in Formosa. On our day there, we drove to Clorinda, Chaco, which is on the border with Paraguay. It turns out from Clorinda, you can walk across a foot bridge to Paraguay without passing through any immigration controls. Here's a youtube video that shows the bridge (Spanish):

So we went to Paraguay, walked around for an hour, and returned with no passport nonsense. From there, we went to Resistencia, Entre Rios (province), Santa Fe, Rosario, back to Buenos Aires.

Back