Update On Getting Dollars?

HelaineT

Registered
I've read a few threads here going back to 2009 about possibilities/impossibilities of getting US dollars while in BA. Have there been any changes (Citibank, Xoom, Amex office)? I'm going to need more than the $10K customs limit for my 3 months this time.

Thanks!

No on getting dollars here. You could take the ferry over to Uruguay and take out dollars there however.

And point of clarificationYou can bring in any amount of dollars you want. There is no limit, you just have to declare the providence of anything over 10K. If you're not a returning Argentine, it's not likely they're going to care too much. Just make sure you take necessary security precautions.

Oh dear, another victim of La Nación and their imperialist handlers I'm sure.

Dear leader has taken even stronger efforts to ensure that the hard working citizens of the Argentine Republic are not
controlled by Clarín Media and the US Embassy into thinking they need dollars. Now, thanks to her incredibly strong
arguments backed up with sound economic data from INDEC, the demand for Dollars, Euros, and Pounds is so little that
the banks, supermarkets, and clerks only take them begrudgingly, never trading the hard-earned fuerte pesos for such a
weak and inflation prone currency.

These truly are the golden days of economic prosperity for all.

I have a great contact here that does all my USD to peso exchanges at my apartment. I've also sent money from my account in the States to his Argentine clients' accounts in the States and received either USD or pesos at the blue rate here minus his 2% commission.

Thank you for your advice, observations and suggestion, everyone. I've also been sent some ideas by private message. Glad to know that Uruguay offers possibilities. I can go dance tango in Montevideo a couple of nights. :) Sleuth, I'll PM you if I need the referral. Thank you!

I'm going to need more than the $10K customs limit for my 3 months this time.

What customs limit? Why not bring as much as you need? I thnk you;ll save yourself a lot of hassle. Why spend day, time, and money going to Uruguay rather than just carry what you need with you?

Back