urgent immigration questions

Amar Pal Singh

Registered
Dear fellow expats, I have been living in Argentina for over three years on a tourist visa, without crossing the boarder. And before that, from July 2003 to March 2009 I came in and out several times, paying the 50 peso fine each time. I am now planning to marry my Argentine companion of many years. What are the steps to follow? Do I have to go back to the US to get all the paper work together, or can I do it all here? And what about leaving the country, and coming back in. Will I just be fined 300 pesos when I cross over to Uruguay, or will the fine be more severe, given my tourist visa expired over three years ago; and once fined is there any risk customs won't let me back into Argentina? Thanks for all constructive imput and feedback to these questions! Amar Pal (new to the BsAs expat community)

You might want to contact Bajo_cero (something like that) on these forums regarding this seemingly screwed up situation. He is a lawyer and, from what I have heard, a pretty good one.

I don't think you have much to worry about. I think Bajo_cero2 once posted it wasn't necessary to have a "current/vaild" touist visa to get married. Even if you do and you go to Uruguay to get a new visa the worst that could happen is you are given 30 days to get everything in order with migraciones. Nonetheless, if you tell the border agent you are getting married to your Argentine partner you will probably receive his/her best wishes for you marriage as well as a new visa...especially if you have a US passport.

PS: Congatulations

I second the recommendation for Gabriel. He's the lawyer who got me my DNI, got me through some complications, and helped us with a number of other issues related to my family. Very professional, very fair, very honest. He'll tell you where you stand.

I third the motion on Gabriel. He even puts up patiently with all my worrying! Tell him Arlean sends her best! No kidding, he's really a good guy.

I hasten to say that I appreciate Bajo_cero2's great contributions here, although I've never met him. We are enriched by him. It appears you have two very good options. And options are a good thing. Gabriel happens to be my lawyer and I know him personally.

Back