urgent: sending package to US with correo

sgarlow

Registered
Sorry for the urgent question. We're leaving tomorrow on vacation and two friends who were in town left a box of wine that they need shipped to them before we leave.

So ... how do you send packages to the US? They just want Correo, not FedEx or anything, standard mail. Can I go to any Correo location or do I have to go to one of the big ones? Is there anything tricky about the process.

Thanks so much.

I agree with Mariposa, if you try to go the cheap route the wine will be stolen. There are other problems: To ensure that the wine bottles don't break you have to pack them very carefully, there are special purpose styrofoam shipping containers that fit inside a cardboard box, but I have no idea where you could purchase one. You also have to prepare special paperwork to get the wine through customs in the US, I have no idea what paperwork or how you need to provide it. I've had wine shipped to the US, but the store where I purchased it (Terrior in Palermo) took care of everything including hiring a customs broker in the US. Your friends should have taken the wine with them instead.

They meant to, but they forgot it... It was packaged by a winery so it's packaged really well. But they didn't get any customs forms.

If you really have to ship the wine today I suggest you call UPS in the microcenter. The last time I was there the staff spoke English. They will tell you if it's possible. You could also try calling FedEX. They usually have reps that speak English, too.

The last time I inquired at FedEx (in person) regarding shipping anything was in 2008. Their "own" 25 kilo box cost about $350 USD to ship to the US. At least the box was free. Of course one "box" of wine in Argentina usually means 4 or 6 bottles (as opposed to 10 or 12 in the US) so it probably won't weigh anywhere near 25 kilos, but the rate I was quoted is fours years old.

I'm afraid your friends are going to have to wait until you return from your vacation for you to ship the wine. At least it will be older then, but probably won't increase in value equal to the shipping costs and custom's fees. :D

If was easy and cheap (cost effective) to ship wine by the case to the US, a lot of us would already be doing it.

sgarlow said:
Sorry for the urgent question. We're leaving tomorrow on vacation and two friends who were in town left a box of wine that they need shipped to them before we leave.

So ... how do you send packages to the US? They just want Correo, not FedEx or anything, standard mail. Can I go to any Correo location or do I have to go to one of the big ones? Is there anything tricky about the process.

Thanks so much.

So do they want the wine?

Or do they want to ship it via Correo?

Which is it?

So do they want the wine?

Or do they want to ship it via Correo?

Which is it?

exactly.

in any case, this is really not an idea that makes any sense whatsoever.

Try correo argntino, there's no much to loose, how much the wine cost? brand? I've seen lot of argentine brands in the US

Unless it is one of the really botique wineries they're probably better off replacing it in the states. Do you know what the wine is? Maybe you could sell it for them here and send money to your friends in the states to buy it.

Back