Uruguay residency anyone?

I couldn't make the link work, but I believe it's an article I read last week.

Take it with a spoonful of salt - the author is Uruguayan, and the piece paints far too rosy a picture of the country.

I'm familiar with some of the people quoted in it - they are heavily influenced by International Living, a commercial site devoted to selling overpriced real estate and "relocation services" to would-be expats.

i have friends (europeans) who recently moved to uruguay as rentistas. they had even lived and worked in the country decades earlier, and have owned a home there for some years. the guy recently retired from his last international posting as a diplomat. he has great connections in that world, including with high-up uruguayan government people in important ministries. still, he and his wife lived through such a nightmare experience jumping through all the bureaucratic hoops that they almost gave up. it was almost prohibitive getting their residency status. plus it took them 9 months to get permission to have their furniture shipped to uruguay which meanwhile was sitting in storage in another country for which they paid monthly rent. with his excelent connections my friend finally got the president of the republic (!!) to intervene and sign some documents personally. that's what it took.

another thing to consider is that everything is much more expensive in uruguay - food, clothing, daily living, etc. we have various friends in montevideo who often come to visit us in buenos aires. they immediately go on a shopping spree because they can't believe the prices. same with the restaurants. they tell me that many uruguayans make ferry runs just to buy stuff in buenos aires to resell in montevideo.

so, before you circulate the "easy expat living" in uruguay any further, make sure you know what you are talking about.

mariposa said:
i have friends (europeans) who recently moved to uruguay as rentistas. they had even lived and worked in the country decades earlier, and have owned a home there for some years. the guy recently retired from his last international posting as a diplomat. he has great connections in that world, including with high-up uruguayan government people in important ministries. still, he and his wife lived through such a nightmare experience jumping through all the bureaucratic hoops that they almost gave up. it was almost prohibitive getting their residency status. plus it took them 9 months to get permission to have their furniture shipped to uruguay which meanwhile was sitting in storage in another country for which they paid monthly rent. with his excelent connections my friend finally got the president of the republic (!!) to intervene and sign some documents personally. that's what it took.

another thing to consider is that everything is much more expensive in uruguay - food, clothing, daily living, etc. we have various friends in montevideo who often come to visit us in buenos aires. they immediately go on a shopping spree because they can't believe the prices. same with the restaurants. they tell me that many uruguayans make ferry runs just to buy stuff in buenos aires to resell in montevideo.

so, before you circulate the "easy expat living" in uruguay any further, make sure you know what you are talking about.

When you look at Montevideo versus B.A. on the various COL indexes Montevideo usually shows a lower cost of living. Also with inflation running 20-30% here and inflation in Uruguay around 8% it would seem Uruguay should be cheaper overall.

mariposa said:
just talk to people who live in uruguay.

Can't say I've talked to many people there but on my own visits I didn't see a big difference. Could be Argentina is cheaper on some items, but again with inflation running very high here for several years and Uruguay much much lower it would seem more logical that Uruguay has a lower COL overall today. I have a sister in law who traveled from another country to shop in B.A. after the melt-down in 2001 because it was cheaper. With the high inflation she no longer makes the trip. Can't comment on the bureaucratic problems your friends encountered moving there but can't believe it could be any worse than Argentina.

My friends who immigrated to Uruguay a couple of years ago from the USA write a blog that may be of interest. Tom

http://wallyinuruguay.blogspot.com

Sorry, I don't know how to make the address clickable. If someone can let me know how I will edit it.

actually my friends bought their montevideo apartment 6 years ago. at the time the monthly carrying charges were $200 u.s. now they are paying $800, and they are wondering how much longer they can keep this up.

Back