Uruguay tax deal blocks Argentina’s path to dollar exodus

JHB1216

Registered
"Presidents José Mujica and Cristina Fernández de Kirchner are keen to reduce capital flight from Argentina to Uruguay.
New agreement expected to encourage further black market currency moves
Argentina’s push to share more banking data with Uruguay is sparking concern that the move will make it tougher for investors to pull money out of South America’s second-biggest economy, widening the gap between the official and unregulated exchange rates."

The above text is from the Buenos Aires Herald. It seems to me that it will be a good deal if tourists come to Argentina with only dollars but make sure that they refuse to take any change in pesos. It seems accepted that the unofficial exchange rate in the country is 5 pesos to the dollar. I do not image that this is going down anytime soon.

Better yet, tell all vendors that if you pay with dollars you want a 20% discount. Not sure how well that'd go over.

Sounds like things are getting worse down there...yikes.

JHB1216 said:
"Presidents José Mujica and Cristina Fernández de Kirchner are keen to reduce capital flight from Argentina to Uruguay.
New agreement expected to encourage further black market currency moves
Argentina’s push to share more banking data with Uruguay is sparking concern that the move will make it tougher for investors to pull money out of South America’s second-biggest economy, widening the gap between the official and unregulated exchange rates."

The above text is from the Buenos Aires Herald. It seems to me that it will be a good deal if tourists come to Argentina with only dollars but make sure that they refuse to take any change in pesos. It seems accepted that the unofficial exchange rate in the country is 5 pesos to the dollar. I do not image that this is going down anytime soon.
That sounds good in theory but in reality it would just result in a lot of blank looks. This is a city where pretending not to have change (much less in dollars!!!) is raised to the level of high art. If you stand your ground you may eventually prevail and get the coins --- however you are never gonna get their dollars.

Come with dollars and things are about to get much cheaper.

Back