Uruguay Visa Run Doesnt Count.. Will It Suffice Though?

MnParaPalermo

Registered
Hey expats,

I read a few posts about expats running to Colonia and back to get another 90 day stamp. However, many have said that this is as illegal as overstaying and that I could be detained in Eze Airpoirt the next time I come back.

I have experience in overstaying here. I arrived in January 1 annd stayed until July. I went to EZE and was told that I had to pay 600 pesos and I could leave.

A few weeks later, I flew back and passed through customs. As I was talking with the customs officer she asked, Are you staying here as a tourist? I responded yes, and she gave me a weird look. She went on to tell me that they know I have overstayed once and if I do it again, I will not be allowed to re-enter if I fly to the US. I asked her about the Uruguay run and she said that it would suffice.

In October/November, I get my FBI report in the mail and I will apply for my temp residency and DNI. However, my 90 days run out on the seventh of October. This leaves me wondering, should I go to Uruguay and back between Oct 1 and 5 and then do the tramites to stay? Is there a better way to avoid the risk?

There's another option - get an extension of 90 more days. I'm not saying you should or should not do this, but it's an option.

As far as I know, you don't need to have a "current" 90 day visa when you apply for your temporary residency as a student, though you may have to pay the overstay fee of $600 pesos in addition to the $1200 peso fee for the student visa.

I don't think migraciones will give you an extension of your current visa. You have already been in Argentina well over 180 days this year. They would probably tell you to just wait until you apply for your student visa (and not even mention going to Uruguay). I suggest that you not go to the office of migraciones until you're ready to apply for your temporary residency.

Back