Us Banks Debit Cards With Chips

Nitale

Registered
Is there any problem using US debit cards in BA ATM's issued by US banks? What does the "chip" tell them? Thanks.

Is there any problem using US debit cards in BA ATM's issued by US banks? What does the "chip" tell them? Thanks.

I don't know whether they work or not. I do know it would be foolish to use them even if they did.

My friend mentioned to me last week that her new Debit card with the chip wouldn't in the ATMs.

Chip and pin would speed up supermarket checkouts I believe, instead of:
Sign
Write name
ID card number and type
Telephone number (which I never give)
Colour of socks

I've occasionally used my chip & pin CC in the supermarket and it is a pain in the butt. Most of the time they do't have the rigght machine because it only runs on POSNET not whatever most of them have. Then you STILL need to sign and show your ID etc. So it's actually slower. Half the time they have to call a manager because they don't understand it, even though you keep telling them just swipe the card and put in the machine and leave it (most of the time they think they have to swipe it in and out of the bottom of the machine which results in a cancelled transaction)

The only place chip & pin is convenient is Starbucks, they actually know what's going on and take it the same way they do in North America no fuss and quick. Honestly I do whatever I can to not use my cards from home but if I'm at a Starbucks and have no cash it's the one place I'll use my home CC because really I don't care if all I'm buying is a coffee and I'm going to have to pay official rate on a 40pesos purchase, whatever.

Back