US base fracas exposes Argentine vulnerability

PhilinBSAS

Registered
Seems the Caudillo of Chaco*, provincial governor Jorge Capitanich went off message big time but now back in the Cristina fold:

Says Nikolas Kozloff of Aljazeera

"... it seems that, while Washington's position in the wider region has suffered as of late, US diplomats will nevertheless be able to divide the left without expending too much effort. Not only can Washington play individual nations off against each other, but also create mischief within separate countries by courting local governors against the central government."

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/06/2012619112334487224.html

not totally new news but couldnt find any thread references elsewhere

*Well written piece on Caudillo Argentina here

http://wander-argentina.com/the-caudillo-argentino-from-rosas-to-nestor-kirchner/

Seems the macho concept doesn't have a feminine form? La Caudilla? Sorry Cristina

Not a problem chum. Do you think that maybe nice Mr Murdoch would have carried anything like this in all/any of his organs of truth around the globe? ;)

I'll keep looking It will be interesting to compare who has carried this and what is their take.

Here we go. But not a lot on the international side. Can only find in a couple of blogs one in Spanish and one translated from Portuguese

US establishes new military bases in South America
[Translation of an article from Brasil de Fato of São Paulo for May 15. See original here.]
http://lo-de-alla.org/2012/05/us-establishes-new-military-bases-in-south-america/

http://www.lapoliticaonline.com/not...-base-militar-de-estados-unidos-en-chaco.html

Debaten el impacto de la base militar de Estados Unidos en Chaco

Guess you had enough of Aljazeera in the Gulf?

I try to look at different stuff since its all slanted one way or another and have only seen a handful of Aljazeera stuff which didnt seem so bad plus some Aljazeera TV which again seemed not a lot worse or better than say CNN or BBC World

PhilinBSAS said:
Not a problem chum

Do you think that maybe nice Mr Murdoch would have carried anything like this in all/any of his organs of truth around the globe? I'll keep looking It will be interesting to compare who has carried this and what is their take.

Don't know. But I'm not surprised Al Jazeera carried it. Al Jazeera is not a very trustworthy source in my opinion, that's all I'm saying.

I naively assumed Al Jazeera was a fairly reputable source ? I'll be glad to understand what their bias is? Looking at wikipedia, which i know is a poor source, i see some reference to their reporting in Egypt.

Genuine question, as I would regard them as trustworthy and am interested in any bias they may have.

I used to watch Al Jazeera in Dubai. And a lot of local newspapers, like Gulf News, Khaleej Times, and even 7days, used to quote them.

There are very many instances that I remember with regards to the middle east that they were biased on. One of them that I remember clearly was accusing Israel of massacring people in Gaza before Operation Cast Lead had even started. I wish I had the source here with me to back it up but I don't. I watched it on their channel.

Hamas was firing rockets into Sderot and other parts of southern Israel and Al Jazeera, instead of reporting it as it was, said "Israel massacres women and children in Gaza as their state policy". Of course there was an outcry against Israel after that all over the middle east. Remember though, this is all before Israel retaliated with Operation Cast Lead.

Another thing that got a lot of popularity was the network, along with others like Reuters and France 2 (?), ran the staged pictures containing "the man in the Green Helmet". This was done during both the war against Hezbollah (2006) and Opeartion Cast Lead (2009).

On Reuters, now that I've mentioned them, they photoshopped extra smoke in a picture of Beirut during the 2006 war against Hezbollah to make it more dramatic. They later apologized for it. Al Jazeera on the other hand, after having used the picture, never corrected themselves.

Al Jazeera Arabic and Al Jazeera English pull what I call "a Yasser Arafat" in that they report the same event in devious different ways in Arabic and English and also distort translations when they're reporting some Arabic event on their English channels to serve their purposes. Like Yasser Arafat, when he was at Camp David said he was utterly committed to peace and then he went, I think to a mosque in South Africa and famously proclaimed "Jihad, Jihad, Jihad!", in Arabic, against the infidels. Then went to Gaza and did the same.

I'll keep looking for sources of this kind of news coverage but I'm not so sure I'll be able to find them since I mostly watched it on the news channel itself and not print news.

I consider Al Jazeera to be fairly reliable on all topics outside of Qatar.

nicoenarg said:
Don't know. But I'm not surprised Al Jazeera carried it. Al Jazeera is not a very trustworthy source in my opinion, that's all I'm saying.

No media outlet is trustworthy. They all have agendas.

bradlyhale said:
No media outlet is trustworthy. They all have agendas.

I agree. That's why I usually try to cross reference. It is more credible if two networks with opposing view points report the same story along almost the same lines.

Anyone who takes a story from ONE media outlet and thinks it "balanced and trustworthy" is naive.

Yes always best to see what the different news channels are saying on a story and to contrast and compare and to question. In Argentina and everywhere else.

Most naive to consider that the news channels dont act like oligopolies and by common agreement not only invent news but also suppress and slant news as well where this doesnt suit the corporate or common interest view - or the prejudices of the target reader groups.

A lot has come out recently about the behaviour of Newscorp in manufacturing news and slanting stories which appears to have been a regular even routine matter for decades. Other supposed channels of the "free press" likewise. Yet if it hadn't have been for another newspaper none of this would have come out because the other guardians of our consciences were only too happy to play along.

So good to go "off-piste" from time and Al Jazeera I suspect is no more behaving to type than the others so remains on my reading list to dip into from time to time.

What is interesting I find is that so far I havn't be able to find this Chaco story being covered anywhere elsewhere (in English) other than in Argentina and as noted above.

Back