Us Consulate Exchange Rate?

nativexpat

Registered
Hi,

I have an appointment for notarial services at the US Consulate tomorrow. I just received the Consulate's instructions. I can pay with either pesos or US$. What I don't know is, should I wish to pay in pesos, what rate will they use? I thought it was the official one, but their instructions say:

-- The fees are collected in U.S. dollars OR Pesos equivalent at the Embassy exchange rate.

Anyone been to the Consulate/Embassy recently that can shed some light on this? Cause if it is the official rate, well, I prefer to pay in pesos, but it seems that the US Embassy has learned a trick or two :rolleyes: .

Thanks,

Mercedes

ETA: apologies for suspecting the Embassy was doing business at the blue rate.

That is a good quesiton, and I unfortunately cannot answer it.
HOWEVER,
I recently had dealings with the Brazilian consulate in obtaining a visa and they used the official rate (granted converted twice converted from 160 USD to Reales to 800 Pesos.)

US embassy/consulate rate is not the same as official rate, my experience. Check with Banco Itaú, they should know, accepts payments for Visas and stuff for US Embassy in BA. Going to cost you more than the official rate: ~5%. Please do not ask me why.

They absolutely do not do business at blue rate. Silly assumption to say the least. But on the contrary, pensioners receiving money from abroad are not getting official rate from local government on the money being sent in bound.

Direct from my recent receipts:

Oct 29 they gave me 4.80 = 1 USD
Sept 4 they gave me 4.60 = 1 USD
Aug 16 they gave me 4.60 = 1 USD

According to historical data the official rate on those dates was:

Oct 29

Sept 4

Aug 16

By this data it appears to me the round to closest 10 cents. If you go down there with pesos at blue rate you will save 35%+.

Don't forget to bring a good book!

Back