Us Embassy Warning On Crime In Argentina

sergio

Registered
Just received from US embassy:

"The U.S. Embassy wishes to inform U.S. citizens living and traveling in Argentina that in recent months, U.S. citizens have reported a number of crimes to the embassy. Crimes reported include petty crime, taxi scams (especially at international airports), mugging, snatch-and-grab robbery involving motorcycles and bicycles, and occasionally more serious crimes such as express kidnapping, home invasion, carjacking, assault, and sexual assault using date rape drugs. We recommend that U.S. citizens traveling and living in Argentina always be aware of their surroundings, maintain a high level of vigilance, and take appropriate steps to enhance their personal security. Please consult reliable sources for information on transportation, lodging, and the general security of areas you are visiting".

Find that statement from the U.S Embassy quite amusing, I mean lets face it the U.S isnt exactly a crimefree zone is it. Rape for example is 3 times more common in the U.S than Argentina.
Perhaps they shouldve put that statistic in there somewhere.

I particularly like the "We recommend that U.S. citizens traveling and living in Argentina always be aware of their surroundings"
yes otherwise getting lost is a huge possibility.

I don't know what the per capita statistics are US compared with Argentina but it is the obligation of US embassies to advise citizens where there is risk regardless of fhe crime situation in te US

Yes I don't know why the crime situation in the US is even relevant to explaining why the embassy is putting out a warning. The fact of the matter is that street crime is more common in Buenos Aires. Even people in the formerly rough areas of NYC don't worry as much about theft, muggings, car jackings etc as they do in BA. I rarely ever worried about pulling out my cell phone anywhere in the US. Of course I am not referring here to murders, rapes, etc, as I would guess they probably are more common in the US, but the sheer number of random thefts in BA means that we all probably know quite a few people who have been victims.

I don't remember hearing about a warning from the embassy since the old days of street protests in late 2001/early 2002. Still, I don't think they're telling baexpats anything that we don't already know.

Yes I don't know why the crime situation in the US is even relevant to explaining why the embassy is putting out a warning. The fact of the matter is that street crime is more common in Buenos Aires. Even people in the formerly rough areas of NYC don't worry as much about theft, muggings, car jackings etc as they do in BA. I rarely ever worried about pulling out my cell phone anywhere in the US. Of course I am not referring here to murders, rapes, etc, as I would guess they probably are more common in the US, but the sheer number of random thefts in BA means that we all probably know quite a few people who have been victims.

I don't remember hearing about a warning from the embassy since the old days of street protests in late 2001/early 2002. Still, I don't think they're telling baexpats anything that we don't already know.

Firearms crimes, but especially mass slaughters, are far more common in the US. Depending on where you live or visit, most parts of most cities are safe enough - but that is also true in Argentina.

Yes its true its an Embassy statement rather than travel advice, just thought at first it was a U.S gov travel advice but its actually for locals, so i take my statement back.

I don't know if it's related or not, but with the international attention the video of the motochorro got, I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to with it.
Just a reminder: Be careful.

I just read in La Nacion that the head of the Mormon Mission in Argentina was kidnapped and liberated hours ago.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1731838-secuestran-a-un-ciudadano-norteamericano-en-ciudadela-y-lo-liberan-en-capital

American kidnapped in Ciudadela http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1731838-secuestran-a-un-ciudadano-norteamericano-en-ciudadela-y-lo-liberan-en-capital

Back