Us Embassy Warns It's Citizens In Argentina

Alicia karr

Registered
Yikes or yawn? Just got a letter from the U.S. Embassy warning about the taxi scams, express kidnappings, muggings, moto chorro crimes,entraderos etc occurring in Argentina.....not that this isn't true, but lumping all these things together kinda makes someone think they happen with the same frequency...can't help but wonder if this warning isn't a bit of a political tit for tat after Queen K's anti US tirades....is this a "citizen service"or more politics? Why now?

Yikes or yawn? Just got a letter from the U.S. Embassy warning about the taxi scams, express kidnappings, muggings, moto chorro crimes,entraderos etc occurring in Argentina.....not that this isn't true, but lumping all these things together kinda makes someone think they happen with the same frequency...can't help but wonder if this warning isn't a bit of a political tit for tat after Queen K's anti US tirades....is this a "citizen service"or more politics? Why now?
Do not forget about those who protect motochorros by ridiculous understanding of the law. ....is this a "citizen service" or more politics? I think It is more a citizen service than politics.

On a side note, I signed up for the "citizen notifications" or whatever when i got here a year ago and ive received exactly 0 communications from the embassy. any idea what i have to do to get these sorts of things?

Yawn. They've been saying more or less the same thing for years. The State Department advisories seem to be for the bermuda short-wearing, camera-around-neck types who are on their first trip out of Bugtussle, not your average street-wise baxpat.

@ Pitipur: "We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Argentina enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)."

@sleslie23: I usu agree but this time the warning appears to not be a stock response or alert but rather something written specifically based on reports it has received.

@sleslie23: I usu agree but this time the warning appears to not be a stock response or alert but rather something written specifically based on reports it has received.

Can you post the whole email? I'm curious to see what it says. I used the email address of my former employer, so I don't get them anymore.

I think we should name this "the 'migo 'migo 'migo effect". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-bZIHrOZo

Back