Us Registered Skype Number How To Receive Calls From Abroad?

Hybrid Ambassador

Registered
Hi to the savvy folks of BAexpat forum. I have a very important and advantagious topic for myself.
Someone in here told me that she is using Skipe intl number to receive in Argies or send calls out
to destination such as to USoA, I think it was tangueraintrepida she sent me PM saying she is using Skipe
while in BsAs..

I have a Skipe number desiganted from Skipe, ( I use PC Skipe )
very often and now call that Skipe number then call the destination overseas numbers to destinations such as Chile or Peru for fraction of cost instead of using my AT&T wireless Cell direct calls.

The question to the forum members,
How can I use this Skipe number assignated to me as the default number to receive or send out International calls..I went to Skipe but no live person to talk to therefore forced to go through PC Skipe online however my desktop PC is an old XP version, lacks the RAM power and very slow to load the many pages you have to navigate in Skipe.com. So I gave up, waiting for my Vaio laptop to return back from Sony service, that PC is very fast with the Windows 7 and lots of memories! In meantime I have to getting busy preparing for my upcoming trip to Argie~land, so need to resolve my Cell comunication devises usebility in the _el Extranjero_ affordably.. Has anyone here can give me a hand on how to connect and use my Skipe in my cell?

much Obliged to you all!

Hybrid Ambassador

You need to purchase a "Skype number" to be able to forward your phone calls to Skype. This is a different number than the "Skype-to-go" number you are using to make calls overseas.

Once you purchase this number, you can forward calls from other phones to this number and receive those calls when you are on Skype. If you have a smart phone you can download a Skype app that will allow you to receive all your calls on your phone when you are logged in and have a wi-fi connection.

I just got a skype number yesterday, I've received calls to it here but I have to have a wifi connection. I don't think I can receive texts from the states though.

Considering current Argentina's poor 3g coverage, you almost cannot use skype while not in Wifi Are.

If you really need to receive int'l calls in your local-argentinean-cellphone-line for chip, the best solution is to forward your skype calls to your cellphone, but this is VERY expensive. (Skype tariff for cellphones are astronomic). about 35 eurocents per minute.

If you need many minutes (more that 100 a month) you should do it in two steps:

get a free nooma.com.ar account, they give you a free argentinean fixed/landline number. and from nooma you can set automatic forward to any cellphone.

the difference: nooma charges 6 dolar cents each minute.

send me a PM if need more help

Hi Ambassador, I don't understand much of what you and the others wrote (DUH!) but decided to tell you what I do. My computer needs more memory so I'm certainly not top-of-the line on that score. I have a U. S. number (based in Florida in case you're interested but it doesn't matter) with the area code and everything. It doesn't matter where I am, anyone calling that number gets me as long as my computer is on--which it always is. I pay $10 a month for the privilege. I hear Magic Jack is better but this works for me so I stick with it though Magic Jack is a one-time charge. I know a working stock broker who uses Magic Jack and operates his business from Uruguay and Taiwan (half the year in each place). He tells me his clients don't even know he's out of the country.

My Skype works well almost all the time (seldom fails). I receive business calls at that number, they ring right here in Buenos Aires and the callers have no clue they are connected to B.A. OR to Skype unless I tell them, which I frankly enjoy doing sometimes. It's just a plain Florida number. I have one family member who set up his Skype so it forwards to his cell phone, at no additional charge. Skype offers phone numbers in other countries but last I checked, Argentina was not among them.

This response is far from being as sophisticated as the others so I hope it helps.

Back