Us Tax Advice

Northener

Registered
I have some funds in a US pension scheme (TIAA CREF) which have accumulated over the years. I would like to withdraw these funds but I have been told they would be subject to 30% US tax then local tax when I transfer the money to Buenos Aires. That would not leave very much. I believe there is a way to transfer the money to Argentina without US tax if I can prove I will pay local taxes. I am not a US citizen or resident and do not have a social security number.
Does anyone know of someone living in Buenos Aires who can help with US tax advice?

Thanks.

I don't know anything about your specific question, but a good forum for this kind of personal finance question is the bogleheads.org forum. It's mostly US-centric but there are a few expats there who have probably dealt with this.

Hey Northerner, My firm does US tax for expats. (We actually just won #1 Global US Tax Prep Firm for Expats). Would be happy to connect you with one of our US CPAs (no obligation and I know they can speak to your specific circumstance). Please feel free to message me if you would like for me to facilitate that.

there are sites out there for CPA firms that work all online and specialize in US expat taxes. though seeing that Argentina and the US do not have a tax treaty i'd say you're probably going to not be so lucky. but hey that's something to lobby your US congressman to put on their legislative agenda. see here https://www.irs.gov/businesses/international-businesses/united-states-income-tax-treaties-a-to-z

if possible try to just avoid argentina knowing anything about the account

Hi [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Northerner, [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I am in a similar situation.Did you find anybody?[/background]

Hey Northerner, My firm does US tax for expats. (We actually just won #1 Global US Tax Prep Firm for Expats). Would be happy to connect you with one of our US CPAs (no obligation and I know they can speak to your specific circumstance). Please feel free to message me if you would like for me to facilitate that.

Hi! I would love more info on your tax prep firm. Sending you a DM.

Back