US to AR Transformer or AR transformer with 5v DC 150 mA output?

Steve K

Registered
I brought a brand new transformer with me to plug in low wattage (5 watts or less) items and USBs into.
Had 2 USB devices and an alarm clock plugged in and after only 45 minutes the thing popped 3 times and burst into flames.
It is good that it was right there beside me at the time - could have burned down the whole building had we left the place.

Any place in Buenos Aires to get something that will drive my alarm clock?
It works on batteries, but I like the projection onto ceiling feature that only works with external power.
Unfortunately the plug required is a round type and not USB.

Go down to Florida and go to Galeria Jardin, at Florida 537.
there are a lot of shops there, and several of them will have exactly what you need.

Is there a typo in your subject title? Pardon the pun, but there is a big disconnect between 5V 150mA output rating and a device demand of 5w (1000mA at 5V). A regulated 5V PSU will deliver 5V whatever the current demand and the current demand will be limited by the internal resistance of the device.

A PSU with a higher current rating will run easier and cooler than one with a low current rating which may be struggling to keep up with the demand. If you want to run all those devices off one PSU at the same time look for a regulated 5V PSU with as much current capacity as possible. Otherwise buy a multi-way extension lead for your wall socket and plug in a separate PSU/wall-wart for each device.

PS Modern regulated PSUs are rated to run on supplies between 100V-240V so anything you buy in Argentina will work on a USA electricity supply and vice versa.

The title suggests 2 solutions, a transformer from AR to US standard wall output so I can use my US power cord (with its 110v transformer to 5VDC), or alternatively to buy an AR 230VAC to 5VDC transformer that uses AR wall output to drive the device. The device does not require 5 Watts, but the wall transformer that caught fire was supposedly rated up to 5W and we were nowhere near that demand.

The device power transformer is not regulated and will not accept over 115VAC.

The device power transformer is not regulated and will not accept over 115VAC.

Are you still talking about the alarm clock? Just buy another one. It will be cheaper than buying a good new transformer.

And for USB stuff, buy a USB charger with a local power plug.

i don't know what kind of transformer you bought initially that would have been rated "up to" 5 watts...that is virtually nothing.

you should be able to find fairly easily some sort of 220v to 110v transformer that would work for your alarm clock. usually something that small is travel size, rated for 100 or 200 watts.

i don't know what kind of transformer you bought initially that would have been rated "up to" 5 watts...that is virtually nothing.

you should be able to find fairly easily some sort of 220v to 110v transformer that would work for your alarm clock. usually something that small is travel size, rated for 100 or 200 watts.
Or more a Laser Printer, TV, Iron or a toaster need 2000 Watt ratings

Or more a Laser Printer, TV, Iron or a toaster need 2000 Watt ratings

correct, but if you just want to use some simple stuff like an alarm clock you don't need a high watt transformer.

i have probably 8 in my apartment haha. i have 4 or so 600w transformers, for various small things. i have a couple 1700w for some electronics. and i have a 3000w in the kitchen for the coffee maker, toaster oven, etc etc.

Back