Usa Residency Issues And Dni Question

jbhenson

Registered
I just recieved my DNI.

I was recently informed by a friend that any Legal Permant Resident in the USA who is gone longer than 1 year from the USA could face issues when returning to the USA,

Dont know to what extent or what paperwork would be required, but thats something I might need to find out in the future.

My question is this, I just recieved my DNI and we were considering traveling, would I face similar problems with Argentina if I am gone for longer than a year?

I just recieved my DNI.

I was recently informed by a friend that any Legal Permant Resident in the USA who is gone longer than 1 year from the USA could face issues when returning to the USA,

Dont know to what extent or what paperwork would be required, but thats something I might need to find out in the future.

My question is this, I just recieved my DNI and we were considering traveling, would I face similar problems with Argentina if I am gone for longer than a year?

If you have permanent residency you only need to set foot on Argentine soil for one day of every two years.

I was recently informed by a friend that any Legal Permant Resident in the USA who is gone longer than 1 year from the USA could face issues when returning to the USA

True, but you can apply for a re-entry permit if you plan on staying away more than 12 months and up to 24 months. It costs around $300. Once that's expired, you may be revoked your green card upon entering the US (very likely, but still subject to the immigration official's mood - anyway you can ask to be heard before a judge to make your case). In the case of the US, there are several issues to consider, but the pivotal argument is 'your intention to live an reside in the US', so a number of things factor into this - if you have a home in the US, a bank account, work in the US, *have paid taxes in the US* (the latter is very important - eheheh), relatives, etc.

In the case of Argentina, no taxes, no home, no 'intention' etc. However, perm. res. in Argentina is easier to obtain and I think the downsides outdo the benefits (just the fact that you have to pay 1% yearly on your assets abroad is enough for me).

Back