Use Of Debit & Credit Cards In Brazil

khairyexpat

Registered
Previously I posted my following question under a non representative title.
Things keep changing, ... and I don`t know what is the current situation with CreditCards or DebitCards (Canadian and Argentine) specifically in RioDeJaneiro ... and is it different from Florianopolis (as per above following 2 posts 23 & 24) ???

Any up to date recent experience greatly appreciated !!

In Florianopolis I could not pay using any of the following:
CanadianDebit / ArgentineDebit / CanadianCredit.

Walking into any regular Bank ATM, I was not able to get cash advance using any of the following:
CanadianDebit / ArgentineDebit / CanadianCredit.

EXCEPTIONS:
VERY FEW DESIGNATED ATM`s (NOT affiliated to any specific Bank) and located in some specific Shopping Centers and Marked with the words: Banco24Horas.
I was able to get cash advance using CanadianCredit. Fee R$ 24 ($100 ARS) per transaction.

In other words:

Foreign (Canadian & Argentine) Credit and Debit Cards are not recognized for payments or Cash Advance at stores, hotels or regular Banks ATM`s.

Foreign Credit Cards are allowed Cash Advance ONLY at the very few designated Banco24Horas. ATM`s.

I know once you use your debit/credit card in a Brazilian ATM, as soon as you get back, first time you use it locally you'll be asked to change your password.

I know once you use your debit/credit card in a Brazilian ATM, as soon as you get back, first time you use it locally you'll be asked to change your password.

@mjohnstone:
Were your cards accepted ? .. to pay hotels or restaurants etc ... or to get cash advance easily ?
Which cards worked .. Debit [Argentine] or debit [home country] ... Credit[arg] or Credit [home] .... ?
which didn`t?

Years ago I used all kinds of cards in Brazil easily everywhere without any restrictions.
But my last trip to Florianopolis ... the use of cards was very different.
(I felt that Brazil restrictions were as bad as Argentina`s if not worse)

Is the use of cards in Rio restricted ... the same way it is Flor ?

@mjohnstone:
Were your cards accepted ? .. to pay hotels or restaurants etc ... or to get cash advance easily ?
Which cards worked .. Debit [Argentine] or debit [home country] ... Credit[arg] or Credit [home] .... ?
which didn`t?

Years ago I used all kinds of cards in Brazil easily everywhere without any restrictions.
But my last trip to Florianopolis ... the use of cards was very different.
(I felt that the restrictions were as bad as Argentina if not worse)

Is the use of cards in Rio restricted ... the same way it is Flor ?

Argentine debit card to get cash @ ATM located in hotel lobby at Imbassai, near San Salvador. Huge fee involved. The card did not have a chip back then.

There are no problems using American credit cards in Brazil

debit cards for withdrawing money from atms in Brazil is very expensive

Back