Ushuaia and Calafate Trip with Kids - Need recommendations!

SarahS

Registered
We are flying (sans volcanic ash hopefully!) to Ushuaia with our 2 young kids for 2.5 days and then onto Calafate for 3 days. We will not have a car, and would love some suggestions or simple guidance about where to go, tours not to miss, and general recommendations about both areas if you have some information to share! We definitely would love for the kids to see penguins, whales, and any other wildlife.

Thanks so much for any travel tips!
Sarah

Hey I have the same questions. Thanks for asking SarahS, I will be following this post!

check the excursions in calafate and read well, some are pretty much the same just with a different tittle if you don´t you´ll get bored and waste money. walking over the glaciar might not be a good idea with children but it is not dangerous.
the view from the boats is good. there´s a long excursion on the boat they only do depending on the weather if you can just take that one it´s called seven lakes i think, and then visit the national park. visit the park just once and take pictures of the glaciar (remember what i said about reading well or you´ll find yourself revisiting the damn national park).
go to the pizza place i don´t remember the name of, was not expensive and had really originall ones, locals always recomend it.
do have a cordero patagonico at some of the other restaurants

ushuaia is really nice, the trip on the train of the end of the world it´s a must do. the museum jail is nice however i don´t know if they have english guides. there is beaver excursion, don´t take it. do visit one of the 3 spensive restaurants at least once and have the centolla or merluza negra (dishes of the area).
if you want to eat something fast and cheap "the bananas" is like a mcdonalds (there is no mc there) and stays open several hours (some other places don´t)

Back