Using Debit/credit Cards

mbcronin

Registered
Hi everyone,

I recently started a topic about using money transfers such as xoom or ria, I was wondering how often people use their debit or credit cards in BsAs on a regular basis? I, like everyone, else am trying to avoid high transaction fees, scams, etc. I think that I will be using xoom to safely get money to myself while I'm down there. Not sure if its better to do it through a savings account or checking account or if that part really matters. I guess my roundabout way of getting to the question is, based on your experience do you use a credit card or debit card linked to the US often or do you just pay in cash for most things? Right now I only have a savings account and credit card (I only use this card for emergencies) What do ya'll reccommend???? THANKS and I'll be in the city in 10 days, yippeee!!

Maria

10 days? Just bring as much USD as you need (but keep it under $10K and don't declare it), and exchange here for pesos. People on the forum will help you find a place if you need it, but just go to Calle Florida. You can minimize the risk of fake money by not exchanging your whole wad at once.

*Edit: I misread - I thought you would only be here for 10 days, but you'll be here IN 10 days. How long will you be here? Cash is still the simplest way. Just buy a money belt at REI and use it.

Yea I do know that the popular thing to do is to bring loads of cash I'm too much of a worry wart that I don't feel really comfortable having that at my disposal. I'll be here until TBD, I'm teaching english so however long I can last I guess haha

Xoom works if you're from the US, you can send yourself cash and you don't need a bank account here. There's a monthly limit but it's enough to live on.

I do not use my non-Argentinian cards inside Argentina at all. You lose too much money if you use them. For example based on today's exchange rate a purchase worth 1000 pesos with your non-Argentinean debit or credit would cost you about 107 dollars. With money received via Ria it would cost you just around 69 dollars. That is a big difference.

what about booking train/bus/air tickets while in argentina without a card? assuming I want to do some traveling, I am so used to using my debit card for everything, can you purchase these things in person these days?

Although many people here have bank accounts with debit and/or credit cards, this is a cash economy for the most part. In some cases you won't even be able to use your foreign card here, via the internet. Anything like tickets and such is better to go in person with cash.

As andes,andes mentioned, don't even think about using a card from outside the country unless it's an emergency. As mentioned, the amount of money you lose is incredible and never worth it. Get used to the idea of not using your cards here. I haven't in the past 4 years or so, since the peso's actual value began to diverge into fantasyland.

So you can pay for airline tickets and bus tickets in person with pesos? I thought that I had heard you can't do that unless you are a resident (which I won't be..I'll have a tourist visa).

MBCronin, my most abject apologies - you are absolutely correct about purchasing tickets for buses or planes. You will have to either purchase in Dollars, or via credit/debit card linked to an account in the States (well, currency and card dependent on your country of origin).

I'd completely forgotten about that. I know very few people who are visitors who need to make such purchases and it had completely slipped my mind.

However, you may be able to get a resident to buy a ticket in your name and they can pay in pesos. I don't think there is any check on the person who is traveling, just the person who is paying. I know someone who recently bought a bus ticket for their mother to make a trip and there were no problems - I just called them to make sure I was correct about how they did it.

So, for anything else, don't use credit/debit cards, and if you can't get a resident to buy tickets for you, or you don't feel comfortable doing that, use your credit/debit cards.

Most of us are hoping sincerely that with the new president that at least some of these asinine laws will be revoked.

Could you book and pay for travel inside Argentina through a local travel agent and pay the agent in cash? That seems an easier way, without going to the ticket office, and especially for those of us whose castellano is not yet what it should be.

Back