Using Ria Vs. Xoom

agape4argentina

Registered
The xoom rate has been holding steady lately, and I've read about Ria Money Transfer as an alternative. A couple of statements (questions):

1. I've found out that using Ria only works if you're sending the money to someone else. As soon as I tried sending it to myself (as I do with Xoom) the compliance department cancelled the transaction. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. I have another transaction pending to send to my landlord. Will let you know how it goes. Would rather have 11.5 instead of Xoom's 9.7 right now.

It was 12.5 last Saturday and this week it will go even higher.

Xoom is still under 10.

Ria doesn't let you send money from outside the USA. You have to make sure you have a proxy server that places you in the US.

Some people seem to be doing it. But if you are sending money to yourself obviously you are outside the USA. Not sure how people are getting it to work if Ria is looking to see if the sender and receiver names are the same.

Can anyone recommend a good proxy server tool? I'm using Hola - which is a Chrome extension. I'm not sure that is the best choice. Something more robust, reliable. If the proxy goes down and it shows me in Argentina the're probably cancel the account.

Interesting. Yeah, Xoom has actually been going DOWN in the last month, whereas the blue rate has finally been climbing from where it was holding for a little while. As others have mentioned before, this is because Xoom goes by the contado con liquidacion rate. I am still using it to send myself small weekly amounts, but I am looking into Ria for making my next bigger transfer. I have a proxy (Private Internet Access) that works well for most things, so I'll probably use that to set up and use Ria, based on your comments Joe.

Have some further questions about Ria though from people who have used it. Someone on a another post said that if you hook it up to a bank account, it takes a long time to send the money (4-5 days) as opposed to Xoom's half hour or so. They also said you can use a debit card instead to get Xoom-like transfer speeds. What about locations? Despite the many locations their website lists, people have told me that Xoom only has the one More office on Libertad. So what about Ria then? Which offices are open for them and what are the hours (is their website accurate)?

Am very interested because prices are climbing and my exchange rate is not.

Xoom is still under 10.

Ria doesn't let you send money from outside the USA. You have to make sure you have a proxy server that places you in the US.

Some people seem to be doing it. But if you are sending money to yourself obviously you are outside the USA. Not sure how people are getting it to work if Ria is looking to see if the sender and receiver names are the same.

Can anyone recommend a good proxy server tool? I'm using Hola - which is a Chrome extension. I'm not sure that is the best choice. Something more robust, reliable. If the proxy goes down and it shows me in Argentina the're probably cancel the account.

That's right. You have to have a virtual private network (VPN), or some such way to make the computer think you're in the States/North America. I happen to be an affiliate with Blacklogic.com, and you can sign up for one using this link: https://www.blacklog...aff.php?aff=148 I've used this since I moved to Argentina and it's worked fine for me.

I asked if you can send money to yourself when I called Ria, but they said that you cannot do that. Well, to be fair, she said that you can but chances are there would be several red flags with their compliance department. My transaction was cancelled, although the one that I made to go to another person is currently "in process."

Interesting. Yeah, Xoom has actually been going DOWN in the last month, whereas the blue rate has finally been climbing from where it was holding for a little while. As others have mentioned before, this is because Xoom goes by the contado con liquidacion rate. I am still using it to send myself small weekly amounts, but I am looking into Ria for making my next bigger transfer. I have a proxy (Private Internet Access) that works well for most things, so I'll probably use that to set up and use Ria, based on your comments Joe.

Have some further questions about Ria though from people who have used it. Someone on a another post said that if you hook it up to a bank account, it takes a long time to send the money (4-5 days) as opposed to Xoom's half hour or so. They also said you can use a debit card instead to get Xoom-like transfer speeds. What about locations? Despite the many locations their website lists, people have told me that Xoom only has the one More office on Libertad. So what about Ria then? Which offices are open for them and what are the hours (is their website accurate)?

Am very interested because prices are climbing and my exchange rate is not.

It does take longer with a bank account. According to their website it is because it takes longer to verify funds using the bank account option, whereas using a debit or credit card is more instantaneous. I'd be interested to know if anyone has successfully used Ria to send money to themselves.

If the Ria account is in another name, could you still send it to your name in BA?

Back