Vacation Time in Argentina

What do you think of Argentina Vacation Time?

• It's more than I expected/got back home

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's less than I expected/got back home

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • It's perfect - just the right work/vacation balance

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I don't think it's a fair amount/the rules about when you can take it aren't fair

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I don't care, I just want more vacation no matter where I am

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Other- explain in the comments

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

IntlMama

Registered
As a US citizen, I was surprised to find out that many Argentine jobs give you 3 weeks vacation right when you start. However, I found it especially interesting/odd that you are supposed to take all 3 weeks at once and not split it up. I'd like to see what you guys think! Please elaborate in the comments!

Vacation time, by law (Ley del Contrato de Trabajo) is as follows:
14 consecutive days 5 years or less employed
21 consecutive days 10 years or less employed
28 consecutive days 20 years or less employed
35 consecutive days over 20 years or more employed
Can not be fraccioned (unless you work in a PYME with less than 40 employees), must begin on a Monday AND if you get sick or have an accident while on vacation, an employee can demand that their vacation starts all over again from the date of the incident.......see why it's so hard to find a job here in Argentina?

IntlMama said:
As a US citizen, I was surprised to find out that many Argentine jobs give you 3 weeks vacation right when you start. However, I found it especially interesting/odd that you are supposed to take all 3 weeks at once and not split it up. I'd like to see what you guys think! Please elaborate in the comments!

I think it is fair. It doesn't seem excessive to me.

Actually it's less than most European countries. I think it's definitely not excessive, kind of the reverse.

i know it Brazil they have a month which can be taken all at once or seperately. i would love to see that implemented here.

Definitely not excessive. The norm in Europe is 4 weeks when you start a job and then it works up to 5 weeks which is lots of time to take holidays.

The idea of HAVING to take it all in one go is terrible. I love being able to take a week of here and there and travel around.

Its 4 weeks in Australia (20 working days) and I am fairly certain that is straight up and there are no changes depending on your years of service etc. In Aust people generally dont take them all at once.

However, there is about double the amount of public holidays here. Although they obviously dont offer the same flexibility as your entitled leave!

I definitely wouldnt say its excessive here, but when combined with the public holidays its reasonable, mas o menos.

Dublin2BuenosAires said:
Actually it's less than most European countries. I think it's definitely not excessive, kind of the reverse.

Depends on the year maybe..add in the "puente" 2 day long weekends, study days, "house moving days (2), 15 days for the honeymoon which is the legal requirement in addition to the statuatory holidays and you feel like your staff are never in the office...

One of the main issues here is that the 2 or 3 week vacation allowance includes weekends so it actually works out at just 10 days or so per year! I wasn't aware that there was a legal vacation requirement. I always got two consecutive weeks here over the summer...which is less than half of the minimum vacation requirement in the UK (which there you can take whenever you want).
As for the dias puente. I guess this depends what job you do but I work with international clients so it means either rushing to cram a 5 day week into 3/4 days or just working the puente anyway. I heard they were designed to promote local tourism but travelling is so expensive within Argentina that its just not worth the price of a plane/bus ticket to go anywhere for that period of time.

fifs2 said:
Depends on the year maybe..add in the "puente" 2 day long weekends, study days, "house moving days (2), 15 days for the honeymoon which is the legal requirement in addition to the statuatory holidays and you feel like your staff are never in the office...

In a european context, where we also have bank holidays and religious festivals it is still not excessive. The north american allowance is quite limited and not the norm.

Back