vegetable shortening/pie plate?

DontMindMe

Registered
I am making a pie for Thanksgiving and would like to use my mother's recipe for the crust. It calls for vegetable shortening (liquid or solid will do), and I don't recall seeing any Crisco around Capital Federal.

So does it exist, where can I get it if it does, and is it called manteca vegetal like the Mexicans on Yahoo answers said?

Also, do I have a shot in hell at finding a disposable pie plate?

Ordinarily I would just hop on a bus and head to Doña Clara (never been) and barrio chino but I am super busy this week and would appreciate any help to cut down on my search time. Thanks! :)

crisco is basically margarine, so use that. or even better: don't.
why don't you make your pie crust with butter? it tastes a lot better and it isn't as unhealthy as hydrogenated oil.

It may be "basically" margarine but is not, actually. Using vegetable shortening gives a different texture to the crust. This is Thanksgiving, the one day of the year when I am not thinking about health so much as tasty delicious food. I wanted to use my mother's recipe, period, which is why I was asking for the specific ingredient.

Butter is quite difficult to use in pastry crust as it has to be kept at a very cold temperature during the rolling process, etc. And as I'm in a piece of shit tiny apartment with no air conditioner I would rather avoid having to refrigerate every single tool I plan to use in our overcrowded refrigerator/freezer. This is my first time making a crust from scratch and I don't need any complications.

If anyone has more constructive advice that doesn't come with a nutrition lecture, I am all ears.

You can buy it in a block. It comes with a white wrapper. It's called Vegetalina. It's by the butters. I've used it. It's a different consistency than Crisco, but it works.

Nicole_Ramirez said:
You can buy it in a block. It comes with a white wrapper. It's called Vegetalina. It's by the butters. I've used it. It's a different consistency than Crisco, but it works.

Yeah, it is found in Chinos too (at least the one near me).

I buy it at Disco, it should be in any of the supermarkets. I'm using it to make a pie crust too, let me know how yours works out :)

Vegetalina is margarine, guys. And Crisco too. There's no chemical difference.

Also, I don't understand how you say that using butter is hard and then you said you've never made a pie crust from scratch, but whatever.

bebero said:
Vegetalina is margarine, guys. And Crisco too. There's no chemical difference.

Also, I don't understand how you say that using butter is hard and then you said you've never made a pie crust from scratch, but whatever.

http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-margarine-and-vs-shortening/

Butter melts faster than shortening, which will make the pie crust harder to handle unless I am able to keep it quite cold, which as I have already mentioned would be difficult in my apartment. You seem really determined to rain on my pie making parade with your superior attitude. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for your help! Found a disposable pie plate and vegetalina at Doña Clara, and a cheap rolling pin at another little store on Pueyrredón near Lavalle.

Reactions: kat
Back