Vehicle License Plates In Argentina

justderrick

Registered
How simply or not so simple is it to get license plates for a car out in Buenos Aires? Say as a foreigner I purchase a car from a dealership and then I insure it through a company. Will I be able to get my license plates with a US drivers license? I want to buy a car out there but I don't know how the process will be. I've rented and they permitted me to drive with just a U.S drivers license without problem. Any foreigners purchase a car yet ?

No problema go to a dealership for used or new cars, they take care of all the paperwork. You just sign the paper they will provide the Title , etc research of possible fines and unpaid license plates dues etc. with US drivers license and passport. Plates will be sent later.
Would suggest purchase from a private party for a expat with no Spanish?

Suggest Dietrich Group, major VW/Ford distributor. where I purchased a used vehicle., also new available. in Palermo, Honduras 4210.

http://vw.grupodietr...com/sucursales/

Hey thanks for the knowledge Rich One. I figured a dealership would handle all the paperwork just to make a sale, I just wasn't sure how the process would go for getting license plates because it would have to be in the name of someone with some kind of credentials with dni. That's good to know though ! Thanks and i rather buy from a dealership than from a private party because I'm not sure if they would be as helpful with all the paperwork handling. I do speak spanish though :)

If you buy a used car from a private party (I did) be sure to check to see if there are any liens against the car from a financial entity or for non payment of patentes (license plates) and/or multas (fines). You should be able to do this on line (ARBA in the province and ABL in Capital Federal).

The license plates actually come with the (used) car. New plates will not be issued. You'll see the license pl;ate numbers are etched on the windows of the car.

You can have all of the paper work done by a Gestor. The only thing I had to do on my own was drive to a place to get a paper that certified the serial number of the motor matched the number shown on the title. The gestor did everything else.

I was bale to get insurance (Maphre) on line through Banco Santander Rio. I already had an account.

PS: I did not have an Argentine driver's license when I bought the car, but I got one a week later with my US license and without taking a written or practical test, something that was (at least at the time) possible in the province but not in Capital Federal.

PS2: As far as i know, if you don't have a DNI your foreign driver's license is only "valid" as long as your tourist visa is valid. I'm not sure if that is extended by 90 days if you get a prorroga de permanencia (90 day extension) from migraciones. Others have posted that even with a DNI they have driven with a foreign license without any problem for much longer than 90 days.

Back