Vehicle shipment USA to Argentina??

BritJ

Registered
We are hoping to move our family to Cordoba region next May - anyone successfully shipped their own used vehicle from US to Argentina (post Covid)? If we have our US vehicle, can we drive it between countries with US plates?

If you enter " importing car" in the search feature of this site (searching only in titles) you will find a number of threads on the subject.

If you use google or bing and search "importing a car (or vehicle)" and/or "household goods into Argentina" you will find detailed information regarding values, fees, taxes, and time limits.

I went through those threads, they were discouraging, but we need a 12 passenger van and I am not finding those for sale much…..

is it true that as a foreigner if we buy an Argentine vehicle, we can’t drive it to other countries and cross borders etc? 😰

We are hoping to move our family to Cordoba region next May - anyone successfully shipped their own used vehicle from US to Argentina (post Covid)? If we have our US vehicle, can we drive it between countries with US plates?

When you became a permanent resident you have a $ allowance to import a used car (limited value) and used household effects. Prepandemic. Assuming you hold a USA passport.
To travel to neighboring countries on a foreign plate vehicle (non Mercosur) difficult . For an Argentinian plate the vehicle driver must be Argentinian citizen or resident . Unless is a Rental. Need especial permit.

I went through those threads, they were discouraging, but we need a 12 passenger van and I am not finding those for sale much…..

is it true that as a foreigner if we buy an Argentine vehicle, we can’t drive it to other countries and cross borders etc? 😰
Mercedes Sprinters, Ford Transits, Toyota Hiaces are much better priced here compared to the USA. They usually retain their value better compared to the usa. Besides the recent craziness in the us used market. But if you buy as a tourist it can't leave the border.

if you import your own, you might later find problems with parts or repairs if it's not a common model here. keep that in mind.

Big family, eh?
Here I was impressed with Ursula von der Leyen having seven kids.

Mercedes Sprinters, Ford Transits, Toyota Hiaces are much better priced here compared to the USA. They usually retain their value better compared to the usa. Besides the recent craziness in the us used market. But if you buy as a tourist it can't leave the border.
Every word of this is right.
Hyundai H1’s are popular where I’m at.
It’s really not worth your while to bring a car of this type from the US.
There’s a 2021 Toyota Hiace on ML for 47K, if it’s in good shape that’s very competitive with US prices.
For a moment, I semi-seriously entertained the notion of getting it from here to the US.

Every word of this is right.
Hyundai H1’s are popular where I’m at.
It’s really not worth your while to bring a car of this type from the US.
There’s a 2021 Toyota Hiace on ML for 47K, if it’s in good shape that’s very competitive with US prices.
For a moment, I semi-seriously entertained the notion of getting it from here to the US.

Make sure it is on the list. Most need to be 25 years old to be grey market imports if it is going to the USA permanently.

Reactions: ben
No one here does any maintenance on there cars. your better off buying a new car in Argentina.
Parts are difficult to obtain unless it is a common car within the country.
Importing parts gains you the tax + postage making it not viable.

Back