Venezuela Expropriates Properties Leased More Than 20 Years

steveinbsas

Registered
Today Maduro mandated that any properties leased for 20 years or longer will be sold to current tenants at government mandated prices, essentially confiscating all long-term rental properties.

Read more at http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2014/04/venezuela-decrees-all-properties-leased.html#jIqm0LFe3egSEOKm.99

I posted this in the Expat Life forum rather than World Politics because I would like to see if any baexpats think something like this could happen in Argentina (as in "monkey see-monkey do").

I don't live in fear of the Argentine govenment here confiscating the homes of foreigners, but in recent years there have been restrictions placed on the percentage of agricultural land that foeigners may own..

Some Argentines I know have been living in fear of this happening HERE ever since Cristina took power....and I'm talking doctors, etc...I thought they were being too paranoid. Now altho I don't believe it would happen here as there are too many middle class landlords, I should never say "never."....

Some Argentines I know have been living in fear of this happening HERE ever since Cristina took power....and I'm talking doctors, etc...I thought they were being too paranoid. Now altho I don't believe it would happen here as there are too many middle class landlords, I should never say "never."....

Believe me, it is far from happening here.
I found the measure insane, I dont like it at all.

In the US, the O'bama and BushJr administrations shovelled trillions of tax dollars to a handful of bankers/campaign contributors, leading to vastly increased poverty, unemployment levels and a devastated labour market that show no signs of recovery, and an institutionalised system of political corruption. What are the chances that this might happen here?

Ever since the death of Chávez and the failure to reform the constitution for a re-election, there seems to be a less of an attempt to copy Venezuela. Please disagree if you think I am completely wrong here, but I have become slightly more optimistic about an end of the K era.

Of course, Kirchner is never going to actually disagree with any of the terrible policies (I am not necessarily talking about property here, but free speech, right to demonstration, etc.) by that fascist government, but the implementation of similar measures in Argentina seems to be a bit less likely now. I shall be sitting at the edge of my seat until the elections in 2015. If any of her cronies manage to be elected, we might see a further worsening of the political situation in Argentina. I just hope Argentine society will be wise enough to understand that it's a normal thing that certain power figures and ideologies should have an expiry date in a real democracy.

By the way, I must say I am a bit concerned about the César Milani scandal/controversy (? not entirely sure how I should call it. ) .

Ever since the death of Chávez and the failure to reform the constitution for a re-election, there seems to be a less of an attempt to copy Venezuela. Please disagree if you think I am completely wrong here, but I have become slightly more optimistic about an end of the K era.

Of course, Kirchner is never going to actually disagree with any of the terrible policies (I am not necessarily talking about property here, but free speech, right to demonstration, etc.) by that fascist government, but the implementation of similar measures in Argentina seems to be a bit less likely now. I shall be sitting at the edge of my seat until the elections in 2015. If any of her cronies manage to be elected, we might see a further worsening of the political situation in Argentina. I just hope Argentine society will be wise enough to understand that it's a normal thing that certain power figures and ideologies should have an expiry date in a real democracy.

Besides the radical measures Maduro is taking, theres also a soft coup as we call it in spa nish. they are doing to him the same they did to Allende. They are deliberately making his government and venezuelas lives impossible, they are playing the psychological card every day, they are doing greats efforts to make millions of ives miserables. There are no good guys and bad guys.

Besides the radical measures Maduro is taking, theres also a soft coup as we call it in spa nish. they are doing to him the same they did to Allende. They are deliberately making his government and venezuelas lives impossible, they are playing the psychological card every day, they are doing greats efforts to make millions of ives miserables. There are no good guys and bad guys.

Actually, Maduro's doing a pretty good job of making his own government and Venezuelan lives impossible.

Amigo, although I have always respected your opinions, I think you have been reading too much ''Venas Abiertas''.

Somehow discussions here always either end in pizza or Allende, but as far as Allende is concerned, I have always believed that he was never willing to use violence against protesters/political opponents, although various accounts suggest the Soviet Union/KGB advised him to do so. Maduro is just a brain-washed bus driver who gets paid by the Castro brothers to carry out their colonization plans. Even about mr. Chávez there was something sympathetic, but Maduro is a clown, and not of the good sort.

Back