Very positive experience at Claro store

Redpossum

Registered
I bought a new Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 yesterday, and it set off a series of surprisingly agreeable events.

I called MGMStore cellular on Esmeralda 740, used the chat to ask about a new phone, and they agreed to deliver it between 5:30 and 7:00. The chat person was agreeable and quite helpful. They agreed to take dollars at 130. The delivery guy showed up at 5:35. So they delivered what they promised, when they promised, for the price they promised. That alone was an agreeable surprise.

But when I visited the Claro store (Florida 513) today, things turned downright surreal. The speed and professionalism, the organization, the coordination with which each member of the team did their job and then handed me off to the next was enough to make me mutter, "Toto, I don't think we're in Argentina anymore".

And their attention to detail was impressive. It was cold outside, so instead of pointing the little temperature gun at my forehead, the door guard aimed it at the inside of my ear, where it would give a more accurate reading. There was yellow tape on the floor to indicate distances, and the way they asked me to stand behind the yellow line was a perfect mixture of courtesy and firmness. The young lady walked me over to a window, introduced me to the service agent, and then told him why I was there. When he went to install the new SIM, he actually had the correct tool to eject the tray, instead of wandering off to look for the tool, or using a paperclip.

All in all, it was an astonishingly agreeable experience, and it made me wonder. In this country, with these problems, and these labor laws, how in the name of GOD do you assemble an all-star team like that, with no deadwood in sight, and no slackers?

I also took it as a very hopeful sign for Argentina, and a powerful refutation of those who say that Argentinos cannot do things right, that they are inherently incompetent, or that it's impossible to really make a business work in this country.

So, my friends, what do you think? Is it just something about the telecoms industry? Is it just Claro? Did I pull a Rip Van Winkle, sleep for 100 years, and wake up in a Future Argentina where competence and efficiency are the norm?

I am also impressed with Claro. I had to replace a sim card once (I am on a prepaid plan). I typed in my DNI to get a ticket. Right away I was directed to a counter, they glanced at my DNI and just gave me a new sim card. No waiting, no forms to fill, no copies of DNI to file. All this took about 2 minutes literally.

By the way, Claro is a part of America Movil, which is a Carlos Slim's company.

I bought a new Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 yesterday, and it set off a series of surprisingly agreeable events.

I called MGMStore cellular on Esmeralda 740, used the chat to ask about a new phone, and they agreed to deliver it between 5:30 and 7:00. The chat person was agreeable and quite helpful. They agreed to take dollars at 130. The delivery guy showed up at 5:35. So they delivered what they promised, when they promised, for the price they promised. That alone was an agreeable surprise.

But when I visited the Claro store (Florida 513) today, things turned downright surreal. The speed and professionalism, the organization, the coordination with which each member of the team did their job and then handed me off to the next was enough to make me mutter, "Toto, I don't think we're in Argentina anymore".

And their attention to detail was impressive. It was cold outside, so instead of pointing the little temperature gun at my forehead, the door guard aimed it at the inside of my ear, where it would give a more accurate reading. There was yellow tape on the floor to indicate distances, and the way they asked me to stand behind the yellow line was a perfect mixture of courtesy and firmness. The young lady walked me over to a window, introduced me to the service agent, and then told him why I was there. When he went to install the new SIM, he actually had the correct tool to eject the tray, instead of wandering off to look for the tool, or using a paperclip.

All in all, it was an astonishingly agreeable experience, and it made me wonder. In this country, with these problems, and these labor laws, how in the name of GOD do you assemble an all-star team like that, with no deadwood in sight, and no slackers?

I also took it as a very hopeful sign for Argentina, and a powerful refutation of those who say that Argentinos cannot do things right, that they are inherently incompetent, or that it's impossible to really make a business work in this country.

So, my friends, what do you think? Is it just something about the telecoms industry? Is it just Claro? Did I pull a Rip Van Winkle, sleep for 100 years, and wake up in a Future Argentina where competence and efficiency are the norm?
Firstly, you may be correct about a general improvement in customer service quality/efficiency in the telecommunications industry here. I have written in another thread about my positive experience with Fibertal/Cablevision/Personal. What I didn't mention was when I left the frankly awful service provided by Telecentro they disconnected with minimum fuss. It was the same with Movistar. Even being to quickly leave a service felt like a small triumph here because it has not always been like that. Although, I should mention Movistar has been hounding my wife and daughter since with phone calls offering them new service. And I cannot fail to mention the absolute mess of the Telecentro engineer who came to our apartment a few months back.

However, it says a lot when these small triumphs are impressive. Let's be honest, what happened to you and the level of service I received would be the standard in many places, at least it would in the UK. I know comparison is not the point of the thread, but I don't think one situation is enough to suggest a wider shift in customer care, especially when I have had some complete horror stories during this lockdown with banks, services, etc. Maybe something is happening, maybe it's just in one inudstry, or maybe you got lucky.

By the way, having someone in store ready to change/install a SIM card is not new, and has been available in some locations for years... and it's always been fairly efficient (I have done this more than once).Your experience sounds exactly as it always has been for doing this, although I am sure there used to be paperwork involved. As for the temperature gun, efficiency makes sense for them I guess.

In this country, with these problems, and these labor laws, how in the name of GOD do you assemble an all-star team like that, with no deadwood in sight, and no slackers?

The Argentine Automobile Club - ACA - is like that. Staffed by professional, courteous people, and amazingly efficient. Their tow trucks are driven by actual mechanics, able to do small emergency repairs, and provide a new battery. Request a tire truck, and they will send a tire shop on wheels equipped to fix your tire on the spot, or to deliver a new one if needed.

Covers adjacent countries, too. I once had a flat tire in the Uruguayan hinterlands, phoned the ACA toll free number, and in under half an hour a local truck arrived to change it.

They offer many additional services. To list a few:
--If you get sick on a trip, they send send a certified driver to get you car back to BA. --They issue DNIs, and do all the paperwork needed when selling an old car.
--They own and operate a chain of basic hotels in the more inaccessible parts of the country: clean, always open, with a cafeteria and a 24/7 mechanic shop.
--They offer free basic engine maintenance courses, taught by their own mechanics.
--They act as a clearing house for detailed information on road conditions anywhere in Argentina, including exactly which dirt roads are open for transit. Phone them, tell them where you want to go, and get your questions answered by the employee with the latest information on that area.

A wonderful surprise for someone used to the States' AAA, with tow truck drivers able only to jump start a car or change a tire.

Last edited:
I was impressed when allowed you to top up your prepaid on you phone with your credit card. In the store I always wondered why some days you could put 500 cash and other days you could only put 200 cash on your plan. "but I want to buy 500 so I don't have to come here every 7 days" "I can only sell 200 today" ... Don't know why

I always loved Claro's service in the stores. As for their service in the air, I once wrote a commercial for them.

Person trying unsuccessfully to make call on cell phone, looks at phone:
"Hm...no tengo señal."
Voiceover: "Claro."

The Argentine Automobile Club - ACA - is like that. Staffed by professional, courteous people, and amazingly efficient. Their tow trucks are driven by actual mechanics, able to do small emergency repairs, and provide a new battery. Request a tire truck, and they will send a tire shop on wheels equipped to fix your tire on the spot, or to deliver a new one if needed.

Covers adjacent countries, too. I once had a flat tire in the Uruguayan hinterlands, phoned the ACA toll free number, and in under half an hour a local truck arrived to change it.

They offer many additional services. To list a few:
--If you get sick on a trip, they send send a certified driver to get you car back to BA. --They issue DNIs, and do all the paperwork needed when selling an old car.
--They own and operate a chain of basic hotels in the more inaccessible parts of the country: clean, always open, with a cafeteria and a 24/7 mechanic shop.
--They offer free basic engine maintenance courses, taught by their own mechanics.
--They act as a clearing house for detailed information on road conditions anywhere in Argentina, including exactly which dirt roads are open for transit. Phone them, tell them where you want to go, and get your questions answered by the employee with the latest information on that area.

A wonderful surprise for someone used to the States' AAA, with tow truck drivers able only to jump start a car or change a tire.
That’s very interesting and thank you for the detail.

I’m expecting to buy an SUV in the October/ November timeframe when we might be able to travel again. I saw the ACA offers a wide palette of services including insurance. I’m a typical foreigner with a European driving license, temporary (work related) visa, should I sign up with the ACA?

For over thirty years I've been an ACA member, and had my car insured with them. My spare tire was stolen twice, and in under a week brand new genuine Toyota replacements were delivered to my home. Thankfully, I was involved in no accidents, but some of my relatives were and the ACA took care of everything, and paid all benefits promptly. I strongly recommend you sign up with them - for a reasonable price, you'll get total peace of mind while driving.

Back