Vintage Vehicle Laws In Buenos Aires

nicholastanguma

Registered
Hello from New York City!

My wife and I are considering a move to Buenos Aires to begin the process of gaining Argentinian dual citizenship with the USA--we'd be living in BA for 6-7 months of each year. We have some beloved Toyota FJs from the 1970's that we'd like to import. As I understand the situation, importing a vehicle into AR is very expensive and requires a lot patience, but can be done. We are prepared to spend whatever money and patience is necessary.

We are diehard gearheads with irrational attachment to these trucks, and have spent over 150,000USD on each of them, so finding local old Toyotas to replace them is not an option--these things are part of the family, as ridiculous as that may seem.

Are there vehicle inspections and emissions tests for old vehicles in Buenos Aires, or are vehicles of a certain age exempt from these tests?

Is there anything else you helpful expats here might know that would be vital to us?

I am not an expert, but according to what I see on the roads here, no way your machines can breach any regulation not already violated by majority. Half of cars are 30 years old and no one invested a penny in most of them for years..

Several years ago I was in a similar situation. I had a 1975 FJ40 I was trying to import to argentina from venezuela that I had purchased from the original owner who was a factory manager at the toyota plant locally. Unfortunately, I never got the car out of the port in Venezuela due to crazy Venezuelan regulations. I was attempting to put it on a RORO (roll-on, roll-off) boat and ship it straight to the port in Buenos Aires. At the time, I was told by a customs broker in Argentina that you could import a "classic" car and that it would be easier from Venezuela than from the US. Also, the car was 100% factory original and not modified, which I think also theoretically makes the process easier. In 7 years of living in Argentina I have only ever seen 1 fj40. I think there is probably only a handful in the entire country and they are more than likely out on some peoples ranches and rarely make it to public roads. I would imagine finding parts for that car would be difficult. Anyway, I am not sure how useful my experience is, but if I was you, I would start by finding a trustworthy custom broker in argentina that specializes in classic cars. Then, I would probably try to ship the car in a container to protect it better. Also, I would only import one of the cars. I would be afraid that if you later wanted to get your car out of argentina and back to the states that you could get stuck with crazy argentinian regulations. That's my $.02

Argentina or Brazil still make this 70/80 Toyota FJs, some of them are diesel. They are beautiful cars in almost new shape. I think you get find this Toyoya Landcruier here.

1975_Toyota_Land_Cruiser_FJ45_pickup_%28ZA%29.jpg

but if I was you, I would start by finding a trustworthy custom broker in argentina that specializes in classic cars. Then, I would probably try to ship the car in a container to protect it better. Also, I would only import one of the cars. I would be afraid that if you later wanted to get your car out of argentina and back to the states that you could get stuck with crazy argentinian regulations. That's my $.02

Good info, gracias. Right now I'm corresponding with one Sebastian Limeres of Limeres Attorneys in BA about how to do this legally. He's an attorney for http://partybus.com.ar/and says their vehicles are foreign imports, so he's familiar with laws along these lines. We'll see if this translates into anything useful for my situation.

Here's what I've been able to find online from the AR government itself: http://www.industria...ulos-coleccion/

And also: http://www.industria...ccion/tramites/

Am I reading correctly that, essentially, to technically considered be "classic," the vehicle need only be thirty years old?

I don't actually care about being registered as a classic vehicle--I care about making sure I don't have to go through equipment inspections and/or exhaust emissions testing. Here in the USA it's the old vehicles that are exempt from such tests, so that's what I've been using a frame of reference. Are there no equipment or emissions tests in BA?

Regarding "crazy Argentinian regulations," what exactly do you mean? From what I've been able to find online (and in English), AR law allows only two imported vehicles per family, so the missus and I were planning on only one truck apiece, anyway. But we want to use them for international roadtrips, thus being able to cross the AR border back and forth is a necessity. Are AR registered cars not supposed to leave the country or something? Surely there are lots of Argentinians going on roadtrips across their own border?

Yeah, so I think in US a classic vehicle is 25 yrs or older and in argentina its 30. My understanding is importing a classic vehicle in US is exempt from standard emissions testing. In argentina I never had to pass an emissions test with my regular vw golf. I really doubt they do emissions testing on imported classic cars.

What I mean by "crazy Argentinian regulations" is that when it comes to import/export, banking laws, brokerage laws, etc, the rules are not stable and change in unpredictable and crazy ways. Like one day you can hold dollars in a local bank and everything is fine, and then the next day suddenly you cannot. One day as a foreigner you can have a brokerage account just like everyone else, and the next day there is a new 15% tax on your account that comes out of the blue. One day you can import whatever, and the next day all your goods are stuck at the port and not allowed in. Maybe today you can theoretically export your car back to your home country after importing it, but tomorrow you can't. Or when you go to export it back, even though you followed all the regulations and did all the paperwork, it takes 5 years for the paperwork to go through? Or maybe the paperwork never goes through? Who knows? But, navigating "crazy Argentinian regulations" is a risk you should be aware of.

Another thing to be aware of, is that when I got the title to my VW Golf a long time ago I did not have a DNI and was not a resident. I just used my passport and a proof of address. At the time I was told by someone working in the registration office that I actually couldnt take my car outside Argentina. If I had been a resident I would have been able to, but as a non resident I couldnt. I said I had never heard of that rule. The person working there said most people hadnt, and that if I went to the border they might let me through anyway because it is a rare situation (that a non-resident would have a local car and try to cross the border.) I dont know if that is actually a rule, as I never tested it, but something to keep in mind if you are not going to become a resident.

To cross the border and exit the country with an Argentine plates vehicle you must be a permanent resident or citizen. Some expats may issue a Notarized permit to an Argie to drive it through the border.
A car with Foreign plates can remain in the country for a period of time. For instance Mercosur vehicles can remain for 6 months in Argentina when you drive it through the border. An Import via container requires all the paper work to be allowed in the country.
When you import a car you can apply for Argentine plates paying the duties which at one time where 50% of the Blue Book FOB value, depends on the country
Good Luck

I'm curious how familiar the OP is with Argentina and what made you consider moving here?

As for importing - it's going to be interesting in a way you can't imagine if you haven't lived here. Also - how familiar are you with the roads and where are you going to be living? And are you planning on getting your drivers license here? Are you planning on entering as a tourist and then trying to obtain your residency and eventually citizenship? How you enter will have a major impact on how you are able to import (and at what cost).

I'm curious how familiar the OP is with Argentina and what made you consider moving here?

We live in New York City, and we LOVE it here. But the savage winters are just too much to endure. We want another New York City that's in summer when ours is in winter. Voila, Buenos Aires!

Are you planning on getting your drivers license here?

Yes, I suppose we'd have to, right? Unless we could legally do just as well with our international driving licenses.

Are you planning on entering as a tourist and then trying to obtain your residency and eventually citizenship?

We were planning to do whatever Limeres, Attorneys in BA tells us to do. One of their specialties is immigration law.

How you enter will have a major impact on how you are able to import (and at what cost).

Really? Please explain!

After seeing a few cars driving around with Florida plates in the last few weeks, starting wondering how they got their cars here. One was a fairly new Corvette, only one I've ever seen here. Plus a Porsche and a BMW M3.
Could this just be a temporary entry? Or a contact at Aduana that allowed them to bend the rules?

Did the OP ever get their trucks into Argentina?

Back