Violent protests in Chile: Will this spread to Argentina?

sergio

Registered
It seems that the increase in transport prices was the last straw for a lot of Chileans fed up with the rising cost of living and low salaries. Latin America is going through hard times. Argentina, Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela are all beset with political crises. And around the world we see protest movements against government indifference and authoritarianism - look at Hong Kong and France. Will Argentines turn to violence?

IMHO it will not spread to Argentina this year...! If the Peronistas wanted they could have started looting stores right after the Paso, and Macri would be history by now....!

Maybe but look at what's happening around the world -- people get ideas from protests in places as far away as Hong Kong.

"People" here follow precise orders from El Partido... or they are cut off from Planes. The HK protests have no apparent leadership, are spontaneous? .Such an irony for a "communist" Government

"People" here follow precise orders from El Partido... or they are cut off from Planes. The HK protests have no apparent leadership, are spontaneous? .Such an irony for a "communist" Government

What the hell is happening in South America now . Its seems like the start of a something much bigger that is engulfing the world . Hong Kong , Barcelona . Quito and now Santiago del Chile . Will there also be massive unrest here wher the economy completely collapses ?

If they protest hard enough, the government there can adopt the same price control policies as here and then they will be forever living in the "worker's paradise".

“When the gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers.”

This is not happening here because MM is leaving so, people has hope.EB35D109-2CE3-4663-AACF-AD9869CA9463.jpeg

What is happening in HK is not ironic - it's entirely understandable. I believe it's a microcosm of Communist China. People are not happy living under a totalitarian regime. It's just much harder for those on the mainland to protest without immediate severe suppression. I was in Argentina in 2001 and I remember the riots. People died. I still have a clipping from the paper with the photo of a young man dead on the street. If the economic crisis continues violence could easily follow.

I believe it's a microcosm of Communist China.

I don't. I believe their perceptions of reality are very different.
Hundreds of millions of mainland Chinese still remember hunger and the chaos of the cultural revolution.
In their lifetime whey witnessed countless Chinese go from abject poverty to middle class.
Do they perceive the Communistic party as corrupt and authoritarian? You bet.
But they also see it as the force that brought them wealth and stability. So most of them are willing to accept the party's absolute rule, as long as economic prosperity remains assured.
The Hong Kong experience on the other hand is very different from that of the mainland Chinese.

Back