Visa Fee To Chile, Usa Passport Holder Also W/argentine Dni

sarita1103

Registered
Hi everyone,

I have done some research online and can't seem to find a definitive answer on this: I am a USA passport holder, but also have an Argentine DNI (temporary residence). When I travel to Chile next week, will it suffice to show my DNI, or will they ask to see a passport? I am asking in order to avoid paying the $160USD visa fee I would otherwise pay if I traveled on my US passport…as we all know, dollars are near and dear to the heart these days...

I'd appreciate input from anyone who has done the same trip with the same passport and DNI situation.

Thanks in advance!
Sarah

Your DNI will suffice. Been there, done that (but as permanent resident - though I doubt it makes a difference).

Hi, Sarita,
When I traveled to Santiago in July 2010, I only had temporary residence, and they did charge me the reciprocity fee (saying that it applies to tourists and those with just temporary residence). I think I made a mistake when I presented both my US passport and my temporary DNI at the immigration counter. My then-Argentine boyfriend told me that if I had only presented my DNI, they wouldn't have "caught" me.
In any case, buena suerte!

I was in Chile recently. As previously said, DNI will do nicely. No need to pay reciprocity fee.

If you are in Santiago for a few days I recommend you visit Cerro San Cristobal and hike a bit to a beautiful public pool, Piscina Antilen.

My understanding is that only permanent DNI holders will be exempt from the reciprocity fee. Temporary DNI holders will still need to pay it. This is a recent change. Used to be that temporary DNI holders didn't pay the reciprocity. You can always try with a temporary DNI and if they tell you to pay it, you pay it at the cashiers next to Chilean Migraciones. No need to pay it in advance like here. Have a great trip!

I usually cross the border at Paso Internacional Cardinal Samore - Between Bariloche & Osorno. When I was a temporary resident as far as I recall I was always asked for my passport. Now that I'm a permanent resident I just present my DNI. The Argentine side had never been concerned, but Chile immigrations have told me a couple of time I should also present my passport.

Last year when I flew into Santiago from Europe I presented both my Passport & DNI and the immigration official didn't even look at my passport so I entered solely with DNI.

I suppose it could depend on where you are crossing and the customs official at the time...

I've run into this problem in Chile. I've been allowed in on my DNI with no problem, another time a year later they insisted I needed the pay the fee as I was from one of the "reciprocity" countries. What was explained to me by a supervisor, was that if you arrive just to Chile, you can flash your DNI. But if you are flying on route to/from Europe or the US or any other place where you will need a passport to travel, then you are entering Chile with your passport, and need the visa.

Having said that, the agents disagree amongst themselves what the rules are, and it really can depend on the agent. If just flying to Chile just flash your DNI and not your passport.

Brazil on the other hand has been known to not allow entrance at all to citizens of the "reciprocity" countries without passport and visa, even if just flying to Brazil and being a permanent resident in Argentina with DNI.

I wanted to see what will happen, so I presented solely my DNI, which of course notes my non-Argentine citizenship. No problem whatsoever. (I wanted my entry into Chile to be documented, so I ended up presenting my passport - I had the fee paid from a prior visit).

I then asked explicitly if a DNI will suffice in the future, when my fee expires, and received an affirmative response. Again, my DNI is permanent.

one thing: they will give you a paper stamped at customs. Do NOT loose it!!!! this paper gets you a discount on IVA in hotels AND they won´t let you leave the country without it. Found out the hardway when husband threw out the paper, told at hotel we could not check in AND had to go to police station to get a new one (just lost two hours waiting on line).

Are you guys the best or what?! All great input and it seems to be one of those situations where I will hope for the best (flash my DNI and get through for free), but be prepared for the worst (bring my passport, of course, and $160 in hand just in case). Thanks for all the fantastic input! I will report back and share my experience.

Back