Visa issues

It's such a strange thing to crack down on, considering that most perma-tourists are people bringing hard currency into the country from abroad. Then again, I guess if they're going to try to keep all the migrant workers from Haiti and Ecuador out of the country, they have to be seen to crack down on Americans and British once in a while too.
There is a religious background so, do not ask for rationality.

I feel like we’re at a point on this forum where we need a banner that says: VISA RUN/OVERSTAY: JUST DON’T DO IT

I disagree, at least partially.

Firstly, Argentina should enforce its laws, so in theory someone who has overstayed should be dealt with more harshly. However, that's not the case and many people who overstay may not neccesarily care too much if they are not allowed back in. For example, when I used to travel around the world, I would visit a country with the intention of maybe only staying a week, a few days even. Sometimes that few days would turn into several months if I enjoyed the place. If for whatever reason I had been ejected from a country, I would have just moved onto the next. Again, most countries enforce their laws and I would have no problem if Argentina adopts a zero tolerance approach, but it doesn't.

I think many people on this forum misunderstand backpacking or remote living. If there are no consequences from being denied entry, but you ultimately like staying in Argentina off the grid, why not try the visa run?

JUST DON'T DO IT depends entirely on your priorities. DO IT IF YOU ARE WILLING TO ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES OF IT GOING WRONG.

Firstly, Argentina should enforce its laws, so in theory someone who has overstayed should be dealt with more harshly. However, that's not the case and many people who overstay may not neccesarily care too much if they are not allowed back in. For example, when I used to travel around the world, I would visit a country with the intention of maybe only staying a week, a few days even. Sometimes that few days would turn into several months if I enjoyed the place. If for whatever reason I had been ejected from a country, I would have just moved onto the next. Again, most countries enforce their laws and I would have no problem if Argentina adopts a zero tolerance approach, but it doesn't.

I think many people on this forum misunderstand backpacking or remote living. If there are no consequences from being denied entry, but you ultimately like staying in Argentina off the grid, why not try the visa run?

JUST DON'T DO IT depends entirely on your priorities. DO IT IF YOU ARE WILLING TO ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES OF IT GOING WRONG.

The point is that argentine’s law allow you to live here while the ussue is an illegal decree of a President who has Califa’s deliriums.

I say Just Don’t Do It, because recently we’ve had a run of expats on this forum posting questions that involve freaking out about their visa issues, and they’re usually in some kind of situation where it would be a calamity if they are deported or denied entry. People seem to be in denial that Argentina is clearly starting to enforce these border controls and no, it’s sometimes random, it’s not always fair, and they don’t always give you a warning or let you into the country to get your things or talk to your lawyer.

What is the correct way and the strokes to extend a tourist visa before the original expires?

Back