visa renewals, Patagonia

Ahhemm..

Registered
Hola. I have heard that in certain South American countries which grant US citizens an automatic 90 day visa, you can only exit the country and return for another stay once a year, limiting your time in that country to 6 months out of twelve. Is this true of Argentina?

Also, I am not a big city person but hear so many good things on this forum about BsAs that I am curious. What's so good about it? If you can't convince me to come and stay in BsAs could you tell me if there is another web site for Patagonia expats?

Saludos,

Ahhemm.. said:
Hola. I have heard that in certain South American countries which grant US citizens an automatic 90 day visa, you can only exit the country and return for another stay once a year, limiting your time in that country to 6 months out of twelve. Is this true of Argentina?

Legally, perhaps. Practically, no...at least not yet.

Ahhemm.. said:
Also, I am not a big city person but hear so many good things on this forum about BsAs that I am curious. What's so good about it? If you can't convince me to come and stay in BsAs could you tell me if there is another web site for Patagonia expats?

You'll have to come down and see for yourself. Six months here is more than enough for most "wannabe" expats. If you want to "stay" you will know how to do so by then. If you are not a "big city person" I seriously doubt that you would enjoy living in this city.

If you want to know about Patagonia, start with a google search. One member of this forum who has what many would consider the "ideal" life there is leaving and I don't think anyone can "convince" him to stay.

As others have posted, few foreigners who "move" here last more than two years. I have lived in BA (Capital Federal) for four years and although I am staying in Argentina, later this month I will be moving to a semi rural "villa" (hamlet) where there are no expats from Europe or North America, Australia, etc. There are no broken sidewalks, either. In fact, there are no sidewalks at all. The Atlantic coast is very close. The windswept beaches of southern BA are nowhere as appealing to tourists as those found up the coast in Mar de Plata, but they're just fine for me.

I've been living in Bariloche, Northern Patagonia for the last 3 years. There is no Patagonia Forum, I only know of me and one other Expat that post here..but there may be more.

I am also not a big city person but spent 2 years (on and off) living in BA before moving to Bariloche...although this is also a city but with a small town feel and easier access to the mountains.

With regard to renewing your visa, there is an Immigrations office in Bariloche and whenever I have been there, there were never more than 4 people waiting...or just cross the border to Chile via the Samore Pass, one of my favorite bus journeys. But don't think about coming to Bariloche to enjoy a cheap ski season the 2010 ski season peak day rates have been published... AR$225

Crime is on the increase (as it is everywhere) I live down town in an Apartment, less likely to be burgled

I am the other expat that Steve and Jez speak of.

The migraciones office in Bariloche has been great, and like Jez said, there is never a line.

You can check our blog for information on Living in Patagonia, at least from a couple's standpoint.

Suerte!

"there is an Immigrations office in Bariloche and whenever I have been there, there were never more than 4 people waiting...[/quote]

Can you renew your 3 mo. visa as often as you like at the immigration office and stay for as long as you like?

Sorry can't help you on that one, my visits were for my permanent residency

Ahhemm.. said:
"there is an Immigrations office in Bariloche and whenever I have been there, there were never more than 4 people waiting...

Can you renew your 3 mo. visa as often as you like at the immigration office and stay for as long as you like?[/QUOTE]

Yes you can renew, not sure about how many times.

It is best to get there before noon when they are still on their mate high and not easing into siesta.

Ahhemm.. said:
Can you renew your 3 mo. visa as often as you like at the immigration office and stay for as long as you like?

You can extend your 90 day tourist visa once at the prorrogas de permanencia sector in the office on migraciones on Av Antardida and you must do so before it expires. If you go there after that you will be charged $300 pesos and given 10 days to get out of the country. You can come right back (probably without any trouble), but if you don't leave the country with the ten days you will be charged another $300 pesos when you leave.

After the first renewal you'll have to start the trips to Uruguay (or any other foreign destination) in order to stay legal, but there are few negative consequences of being here without a valid visa. Even if you get robbed and make a report at a police station, you will probably not be asked about your immigration status. I made a report once and only showed them a photocopy of my passport. They didn't look for the entry stamp and didn't even ask why I didn't have my passport with me.

i've lived in puerto madryn for the past 7-8 months so i have a different perspective i'm sure than those in the cordillera. puerto madryn is a large town with about 100,000 people (wouldn't call it a city though) and some nice beaches nearby. then, as with all of patagonia, there is a lot of nothing when you leave here, and a lot more brown, and less scenery than in the west. none the less, it grows on you...

Ahhemm.. said:
"there is an Immigrations office in Bariloche and whenever I have been there, there were never more than 4 people waiting...

Can you renew your 3 mo. visa as often as you like at the immigration office and stay for as long as you like?[/quote]

I know one person who has lived here eleven years, taking the boat to Colonia staying a couple of hours then coming back, she has done this every three months without problem.

I think technically you can only renew at migraciones once, but the boat is less hastle anyway.

Back