Visa Requirements

ben1983

Registered
I have read numerous threads on the forum about visas and I think I've gathered what I need in order to apply for a working visa.

I'm from London and moving to BA in July initially on a tourist visa with the intention of finding work and then applying for a working visa.

My understanding is that I will need the following:

1. Valid passport - Check. Doesn't expire until 2018.
2. Birth Certificate that has been apostilled and translated into Spanish
3. Criminal record check that has been apostilled and translated into Spanish
4. Sponsorship from company intending to employ me

Few questions on this if I may...

1. Can I apply for a working visa whilst in Argentina on a tourist visa or is there a requirement for me to apply for it from outside the country?
2. Should I wait to get the translations done until I arrive in Argentina?
3. Are there any special skill requirements to getting a working visa? E.g in certain countries one must prove that they are providing skills that are in shortage among the native labour force.

If this has already been covered then please point me to the thread in question and I'll familiarise myself.

Any answers to the questions above, or other advice gratefully received.

Also is there any requirement about how recent the police check form should have been done? As I'm coming in July I'm keen to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later as the organisations in question are often slow.

ben1983 said:
Also is there any requirement about how recent the police check form should have been done?

Note: I recommend that you pay an immigration attorney to get the most up-to-date info as the laws here have a tendancy to "fluctuate." This is something you don't want to screw up and there is always a hassle in the immigration process here. Call it beaurocracy or whatever, things like this don't always go smoothly here.

That being said, the current time requirement for your police record is 90 days. That means that the record can't be more than 90 days old from when Immigration gets your paperwork. You'll need to time that pretty well. It's not something you can do way in advance of arriving.

!!!!! Also, make sure all of your paperwork has your complete full name(s) with every name spelled out. In the USA we us full first, middle initial, and full last as official. Here they want every name fully spelled out. If you don't have that on every form you'll be running to the Embassy to get another form from them saying you are who you say you are. That's money and time wasted.

Good luck and let us know when you arrive.

Regarding translations, for any documents you need to have translated, you are going to have to have that done here, by a nationally (Argentina) certified translator and once they are translated you have to bring the documents to the "Colegio de Traductores Públicos" on Avenida Corrientes to have the translations re-certified. This is just ONE of many many burocratic steps in any process here. Have fun!

You can just overstay and work under the table. Here you don´t become an "illegal" for that. It s ok.

The "Colonia run" is a bad idea. Even there are many post about that, it is a mistake.

To try to apply for a visa is almost the only way to get a deportation order.

The company that hires you has to apply for the working residency.

If you stay over a year in Argentina, then you can apply for citizenship that seems to be the best strategy.

There is a tread "citizenship for foreigners" and you can check my website.

Regards

You should try and do all the paperwork in the UK first, it will be much easier. You should at least gather the paperwork and take it to the Argentina consulate in the UK. Most of the laws of immigration are centered around applying from the country of origin. I applied before I got here and while it was not easy, it did work in the end.

I also think once you arrive here, you should hire a lawyer to finish the process. I did most of the work myself and I wasted a year of time. I have the name of a reasonable priced lawyer I can recommend here in BA, he worked in the immigration office, just PM me.

I also have the name of an immigration lawyer(s) that my company hired for me. Father and son and have dealt with both. They also are fluent in english. PM if you need.

I want to add my affirmation to the poster that recommended an immigration attorney. I don't claim to be an expert on this but my opinion is that an attorney can make a big difference. I am just in citizenship process now and I found out from my new attorney that I was eligible after two years. I had no clue. It would have saved me money (because I was paying someone every year) and it might have all been complete by now.

I read Dr. Rubilar (posts as bajo_cero . . above) and he seems to me to be on target. I also have an attorney that I think is very good. It is Gabriel Celano, Tel. +54 11 4342 9433, Anasagasti 2005, 1er. piso, that I am pleased to recommend.

arlean said:
I want to add my affirmation to the poster that recommended an immigration attorney. I don't claim to be an expert on this but my opinion is that an attorney can make a big difference. I am just in citizenship process now and I found out from my new attorney that I was eligible after two years. I had no clue. It would have saved me money (because I was paying someone every year) and it might have all been complete by now.

I read Dr. Rubilar (posts as bajo_cero . . above) and he seems to me to be on target. I also have an attorney that I think is very good. It is Gabriel Celano, Tel. +54 11 4342 9433, Anasagasti 2005, 1er. piso, that I am pleased to recommend.

I don't think Dr. Rubilar is an immigration attorney. He is a 21st Century "trail blazer" for foreigners desiring citizenship in Argentina and, based upon his posts, he doesn't think much of the employees at migraciones. If you need someone to go to migraciones with you because you don't speak castellano very well I I know a woman from Uruguay who has lived in BA for 15 years who will charge $200 dollars to help you get your visa (as she did with me). I am going to ask her to introduce herself in the forum in the next few days.

garygrunson said:
You should try and do all the paperwork in the UK first, it will be much easier. You should at least gather the paperwork and take it to the Argentina consulate in the UK. Most of the laws of immigration are centered around applying from the country of origin. I applied before I got here and while it was not easy, it did work in the end.

I also think once you arrive here, you should hire a lawyer to finish the process. I did most of the work myself and I wasted a year of time. I have the name of a reasonable priced lawyer I can recommend here in BA, he worked in the immigration office, just PM me.
If you don't have the job first, you can't get the visa..so why waste your time?

Back