visit in October

nychic

Registered
Hello everyone,

I'm coming to BA to research an article: woman traveling alone to Tango Land. Need your advice(s):

what's the best cafe/bar to meet expats?
meet ups for expats?
a wonderful day spa?
your favorite places to relax (off the tourist path)?
milongas to watch?

nychic said:
what's the best cafe/bar to meet expats?starbucks at florida and rivadavia/alamo,sugar,gibraltar,northside.... There are millions
meet ups for expats?you have the stuff on this site, then you have spanglish, pubcrawl, and really a million more

your favorite places to relax (off the tourist path)?i like to take a book and head out to parque avellaneda on nice days

For everything you need to know on the tango front you can't get better than Sallycat's Happy Tango - the perfect guidebook for tango tourists.

For tango with locals, "El viejo correo", Diaz Velez 4820, starting 8pm with classes. For earlier, "La Ideal" on Suipacha almost Avenida Corrientes ( one block from the Obelisc) There they offer classes from 10am. The place is between old and antique.

A must is go to "Carlos Gardel House", located in Abasto neighbourhood, on Jean Jaures 700 street. You will find couples dancing on the street in the heart of San Telmo (Defensa and Humberto Primo square) and in Recoleta. But this is for export tango.

For a nice day spa, I like "Ser" in Cervinio street, almost Scalabrini Ortiz, in Palermo neighbourhood.

Costanera norte y sur are wonderful places to relax. Costanera norte offers restaurants and bars facing the river. Costanera sur has parks and an ecological reserve ( huge, more than 280 hectareas, I think 560 acres)

Good luck,

Saludos!
I was such a woman when I first came here in 1997; I've now been living here since 2003, and teach tango with my milonguero husband. Since then I've seen many "tango turistas" come and go.
I second Mark's recommendation of Sally Blake's Happy Tango, which is hot off the press.
Good luck in your research--and have fun doing it!!
Un abrazo tanguero,
Cherie

Sugar is a good bet (and a good burger!)...also El Alamo and CasaBar are good on weekends - you'll catch a lot of expats watching football. Palermo SoHo has loads of little cafes and is generally very busy on the weekends - lots of shopping. I tend to hang out more in Palermo Hollywood, as the cafes are funkier and less busy...it's more of a "locals" scene, but still a few ex-pats around. Very good restaurants in Palermo Hollywood as well.

Back