Visiting BA for a month

Julio2020

Registered
Hi All,

Me and my girlfriend are coming at the end of March to BA for a month out of 3 months to check out BA (and other parts of Argentina). She's Peruvian and my Spanish is decent enough so language isn't a problem (although will take getting used to for me I imagine), we've travelled a fair bit through SA but never been to Argentina so looking forward to seeing how it is! If we like it here we may return and stay longer after August. I had a few questions regarding day to day and logistics stuff.

Money
- I earn in in $ my girlfriend in Peruvian Soles. We have a combined monthly income of just over $3000. What's the best way of taking out cash? I am aware ATM's charge insane rates.
- What are the best ways to obtain cash? Casas de Cambio? Azimo? WU?
- Should we bring a big wad of USD with us to get started?

How does paying with card work? Are there generally heavy fees on top of each transaction? I have a Transferwise borderless card, I can convert my USD to ARS on my card so it's like paying in local currency, I'm not sure if that will help.

Groceries
We plan to buy most groceries in markets if we can as they are generally better and cheaper as well as more interesting. We're in San Telmo bordering on Puerto Madero area for the month, I'm aware this is a very touristy/fancy area so prices will be generally higher.
- Are FIAB's generally good quality/value wise?
- How is San Telmo Market? Is it a bit/a lot more expensive because of the area?
- Are there any other markets in that general area we should know about?

Getting Around
- SUBE card, can we purchase a monthly pass? or is it just recarga?
- I take it's like any other place in SA where a local taxi will generally rip you off when they can. Taxi's vs BA Taxi/Uber is there is big difference?

Any other tips welcome!

There arent really "markets" like you are thinking of. There were, in the 40s, but the San Telmo market has about 3 actual food stalls left, and the rest is tapas bars and french bakeries and new zeland coffe huts.
There are non-organic markets one or two days a week, sponsored by the city, including some in San Telmo, but they are pretty small too.
Buying food in Buenos Aires is a series of favorite stores that you visit periodically. Mercado Bonpland, in Palermo, has several stands that are direct from the farmers. And several stands that only sell food made by members of the co-op.
There is a big once a month market at the Agronomia campus of UBA, but its a ways from San Telmo.

You will find plenty of good food to buy and cook- you just have to walk around more than if there was one big mercado, like in most south american and central american cities.

you buy a sube card, you charge it up at most kioskos. its easy.
I have probably taken 5000 taxis in the last 13 years- never been "ripped off", but had 2 or 3 who tried to take me the long way around, and charge an extra dollar. Most taxis actually round down, to avoid giving change, and are quite honest.
Uber exists, but it can be flaky, and has variable pricing. Taxis are more common than in any other city on earth.

But really, learn the colectivos (buses) they go everywhere, 24/7, are safe, easy,cheap, and you get a better view of the city.

Use Western Union as much as you can because they have the best rate right now, 83 pesos per dollar. If you bring dollars you will get a blue rate at cuevas of about 76, both rates went up today. Check to see what rate you can get with Transferwise and compare with the other rates. Try to avoid using ATMs because you will probably get the official rate which is only around 60 plus the ATM fees if you don't have a Charles Schwab or other card that doesn't charge fees..

OK, just so I'm clear on the WU process as I've only ever used it to send money and am a complete amateur. Would I be sending money to myself and then collect it? or they offer as a Money exchange service as well?

Also, we both work remotely so need a decent SIM card with good mobile internet as a backup to Wifi. Which would be best provider?

Your girlfriend can recieve her soles via the agency Argenperu if she has someone in Lima to send it to her. She should move it to her first US$ account and receive it here in dollars. However if you are only coming for a month, you ought to be able to live off the cash you bring with you. US dollars go a long way at the moment.

If you are accustomed to Peruvian cuisine, you won't want to stay here longer than a month, let alone come back in August.

Unlike Lima, cabs here are metered, so they can't really rip you off, at least not on the price (not that in my experience in Lima cab drivers take advantage, given that every second car is an informal taxi who will undercut whatever the guy in front says the price is). But if you (or your girlfriend at least) are accustomed to Lima fares will find a taxi here is much more expensive even that a service like Beat is in Lima. Agree that the bus is a better option, cheaper even than a Lima bus if you are living off USD.

Here is a link to a thread about Western Union: https://baexpats.org/threads/western-union-money-transfer.40976/
You can not receive dollars in Argentina currently and even if you could the current Western Union rate is better that the cueva dollar conversion rate. You can not convert dollars to pesos at Western Union, only something like $100 dollars a month at I believe the official rate. Where are you currently living?

Go to San Telmo market. There are tons of places to eat. They are not expensive and they are fun. You will meet people and have a blast. Don't cook! You are on vacation. I ate at the market today....and yesterday ......and the day before that. And the neighborhood is full of places. Tons of places. Live. (and use Western Union when possible)

OK, just so I'm clear on the WU process as I've only ever used it to send money and am a complete amateur. Would I be sending money to myself and then collect it?
Yes

or they offer as a Money exchange service as well?
No

Also, we both work remotely so need a decent SIM card with good mobile internet as a backup to Wifi. Which would be best provider?
I've used Claro and Movistar and prefer Movistar. Others have said Personal is even better...

Moviestar will sell you two GB.....Claro 3 GB. Then you have to recharge. So I use Claro. And it works very well. You can pay for more GB when you sign up and use the app when you need to recharge. Pain in the xxx but it does work. I use the Claro office in Abasto mall. It doesn't seem to be crowded when I go there or go by. And about WU...I had to go to the main office as the other branches didn't have enough dollars....and that was also easy to accomplish. Best go there and easy to find.

Back