Visiting Buenos Aires For 2 Weeks In October

SaritaA

Registered
I will be in Buenos Aires in early October, spending about two weeks checking out the city as an ex-pat destination. It would be great to get together with members of your community. I will be staying in Palermo Soho.

A couple of questions:

1. How popular is USD as payment method?

2. Best way to get around the city?

3. Probably most important -- where can I find Wifi?

I'd appreciate responses to these questions (I'm bound to have more), and if you're interested in getting together between October 8 and 19, please let me know.

Gracias!

Sarita

USD need to be changed to pesos. Very few places take dollars as payment.

Taxi is easiest. IMO.

Wifi is available at most coffee shops. It is really hit or miss as to who has it. Standards are always Starbucks and most
Mcdonalds.

I will be in Buenos Aires in early October, spending about two weeks checking out the city as an ex-pat destination. It would be great to get together with members of your community. I will be staying in Palermo Soho.

A couple of questions:

I'd appreciate responses to these questions (I'm bound to have more), and if you're interested in getting together between October 8 and 19, please let me know.

Gracias!

Sarita

Hi Sarita,

Welcome to BAExpats. Here are some quick answers:

1) Many places in Palermo will accept dollars, but you won't get a good rate. As you'll soon find out, the best plan of action is to bring dollars and exchange them on the blue (in reality black) market. There are multiple threads that discuss this.

2) Taxis are plentiful, but many people (myself included) who live here prefer using the bus/subte (metro). The bus system seems extremely confusing at first, but once you learn the lines that take you where you want to go, it's pretty efficient. You'll need to buy a "Sube" card, which will allow you to use the bus/subte without having to have change.

3) Wifi is VERY common in Buenos Aires. Almost every bar/cafe/restaurant in Palermo SoHo has WiFi. The connections are generally reliable.

virtually every hotel and rental apartment has wi-fi.
Personally, I leave my wi-fi devices where I sleep.
two reasons-
one- because wi-fi devices, like iphones, ipads, and laptops are the number one target for thieves, after, the diamond encrusted rolex, of course.
I have been visiting Buenos Aires since 2007, and never had a problem with thieves, because I am not carrying and using an object they want to steal
two- you will enjoy the city a lot more if you arent staring at a little screen all day.

I carry a map- in my case, I buy the tiny pocket sized Guia T, which is a complete map atlas of the city, as well as a listing of every bus line.
I google what I am interested in before I leave the apartment in the morning, and then, I let things happen to me, organically- I have addresses and an agenda, sure, but I also walk, look around, take taxis, buses, and the subte, and just let the city unfold for me.

but I am old- I know most younger people cannot be without the electronic leash for a whole afternoon...

1- Change your USD for pesos little by little before spending the pesos

2- In your case, taxi

3- Mac Donald's, Starbucks & in plenty of places in Palermo Soho

1. If you're renting an apartment, you'll probably have to pay the rent in US dollars. Nobody pays for anything else in dollars -- the rate changes daily.

2. Best way to get a feel for the neighborhood and the city is using your two legs. Take the bus or subway if you plan to live here. You might as well get used to public transportation.

3. Your apartment has WIFI. Leave your electronic toys at home where they are safe and secure.

Attend one of the coffee chats to meet others on this forum during your stay.

1- Change your USD for pesos little by little before spending the pesos

This is very important, we have a huge inflation situation here, so not only the peso loses value everyday, but the dollar gain and its more and more expensive, so the later you exchange your dollars, the more pesos you will own.

There are millions of bars better than Starbucks and McDonalds, you just have to walk and find yourself one.

The best way to get through the city is public transportation, you will get lost, but thats ok, its the best way to finally know a place. You just need to avoid the dodgy areas, and be aware of pickpocketing in the subway.

... and if you're interested in getting together between October 8 and 19, please let me know.

Hi Sarita,

Come to a coffee chat (a twice weekly gathering with other expats). Check the Expat Event link to see where it is scheduled for a chat you want to attend.

Michelle

This is very important, we have a huge inflation situation here, so not only the peso loses value everyday, but the dollar gain and its more and more expensive, so the later you exchange your dollars, the more pesos you will own.

There are millions of bars better than Starbucks and McDonalds, you just have to walk and find yourself one.

The best way to get through the city is public transportation, you will get lost, but thats ok, its the best way to finally know a place. You just need to avoid the dodgy areas, and be aware of pickpocketing in the subway.
We are not discussing the f...ing quality of BARS the subject is WiFi. Get on board.

We are not discussing the f...ing quality of BARS the subject is WiFi. Get on board.

but when you go to a bar wi fi its not the ony thing, so it does matter the quality of bars. If someone recommends McDonalds, I can perfectly say there are bars with wi-fi better than that one.

Back