Volcano ash/Eye problem

Johnny

Registered
Hell, I didn't even realize there was an ash cloud in BA yesterday until opening the paper this morning. So, walking around yesterday morning I got a real small cinder in my eye (I saw the little bastard), and since yesterday morning I have redness and minor swelling in one very small area under the lower lid. Minimal discomfort, hardly noticeable, and maybe very slightly itchy every now and then. Nada mas.

Tell me I don't have to go spend time tracking down a doctor. This will go away soon, right ? What an aggravation.:confused:

Ouch! I would say if you're not experiencing any discomfort, I would not worry about tracking down a doctor. Keep it hydrated and use some eye drops. If its not healed in a few days, then think about a doctor but for now, I think you are fine.

What you might want to do is go and buy some saline solution from Farmacity/other drugstore -- something like Bausch & Lomb Renu -- it's just a rinsing formula, not a chemical cleaner so you can actually use it to flush out your eye. Drops may work, but sounds like you might actually need to flush the whole surface of the eye.

If it doesn't work you may need to go to a guardia or to an opthamologist to get it properly flushed out. But they will most likely do exactly the same, flush it with saline until gone.

Thanks to Citygirl and Syngirl for the advise !:) I'll hydrate and keep my fingers crossed.

I was in Bariloche earlier this week (lucky me) and I got a ton of ash in my eye while I was waiting for a bus. I rinsed it out a few times with saline solution and it's fine now, so I would second that recommendation. Good luck!

Back