Waiting in line at the supermarket

esllou

Registered
What's the deal with the slowness of lines at the checkout in supermarket? At first, it was funny. Then, about 15 minutes later when I'd advance about four feet, I wasn't smiling anymore.

Each person who pays with a CC seems to add 3-4 minutes to the waiting time? Are they using Pony Express to make their CC verification checks?

and then the checkout girls have to keep writing on bits of paper - what's that about? :rolleyes:

and then the real cherry on the cake. In my local Disco supermarket, the girl calls the security guard over on around half the transactions. I'm still trying to work out the logic of when she does it, and it's beyond me: high payers - NO, buying alcohol - NO, that's not it, paying by CC - nope! And of course, the security guard is usually trying to chat up some local girls so we all look at each other on the line and tut and raise eyebrows. SORT IT OUT! YOU'RE A BUSINESS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD...IT'S NOT OUT OF YOUR CONTROL!!

....and breathe

so now I bring a book.

You forgot the best part,
The abuelas locas who hit you with their cart and try to cut in line.

lol -- no the best one is when you count the number of people and think "oooh that one only has 2, it will be FAST!" And then you get into line and OF COURSE the person in front of you not only wants to pay with tickets but also has about 8 utility bills that they want to pay for..... arrrrrgh

When the two are combined, it is old person discount day. They start to fight one another. It can be fun if you allow yourself an extra hour or two at check out.

esllou said:
Are they using Pony Express to make their CC verification checks?
Nope, trained parrots sitting on the phone lines. Well actually the average speed on line is around 33,000 bit/second and the network is congested - that's why.

esllou said:
SORT IT OUT! YOU'RE A BUSINESS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD...IT'S NOT OUT OF YOUR CONTROL!!
Let me guess esllou - you are new to Argentina?

One of the nice things about this country is the totally leaned back attitude - getting your bill at a restaurant takes 10 to 30 minutes, etc.

We do siesta where I live. All shops are closed 13-17; banks close at 13.

Until you have gotten used to these things, they are extremely annoying.

Have a nice stay - suerte!

Back