Water Softener for elevated tank well system tips

Alfred_Arnold

Registered
Good morning, everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone here has successfully added a water softener in the elevated tank well system commonly used here. A plumber, an engineer, and I are all confused on where in the chain it should go with the least amount of disruption to pressure and the least amount of tanks and pumps required to get it functioning. I'm surely not the only one that has attempted this for his house....

If i get further information/solutions, I will post a follow-up.

Not even remotely relevant for the elevated tank setup.
If your home uses city water, it’s usually next to the water meter.
(whether you have an elevated tank or not)

In any case, if your engineer and plumber can not give you a satisfactory answer, just hire other people.

In the sataes they are located where the main water comes into the house. I will assume that here it is the same but after the pressure pump. You will need something to drive the water though the medium.

I promised a follow-up:

There are large resin-filled softeners with an accompanying salt container here. A centrifugal pump of 3/4 HP or less can work with the larger household unit, having preferably a flow rate of less than 3000 liter per hour.

The chain would be: the well, to the pump, through the softener, up to the elevated tank, and down from the tank when a faucet is opened. An extra outlet and small drain pipe is required. The softener needs to be wired to the pump to control the switch. They cost around 500 dollars as of the time of writing.

Sorry but which type of engineer had you hired that couldn’t work that out?

Was he a software engineer or something?

Sorry but which type of engineer had you hired that couldn’t work that out?

Was he a software engineer or something?
He's my father-in-law...and the kind of engineer that can remember every diagram he's ever seen and replicate it, but can't problem solve for a new scenario..at all, apparently.

Can tell you the square root of a jam jar but wouldn’t know how to get the lid off.

For the jam jar he would refer you to a REALLY expensive handyman and insist on getting an imported strap wrench and table-mounting vise, and potentially a carpenter to build the table for the vise, and maybe another guy to paint the table. Yes, indeed, that kind of engineer.

Back