Water Water everywhere.....

fred mertz

Registered
I keep reading about how foolish is it to drink bottled water. The plastic bottles contain toxic chemicals, the environmental impact of said bottles, the cost, tap water has more restrictions etc. Those, supposidly in the know, recommend that you should drink tap water. I´m wondering if that would apply to BA? Has anyone been drinking tap water in BA for a long time? If so are you physically and mentally able to write about your experiences?

I always used to drink the tap water in BA without any problems, i lived in Caballito at the time. Then it started to taste of strong metal and I havent touched it since.

I've been down here for a year and a half and have drank nothing but the tap water. I haven't had any issues healthwise aside from this sixth toe that grew...i don't know what all that was about ;-)

jk obv, but I've had no issues with the tapwater...

I have drunk BA tap water since january 2007.. and i dont think its had any effect on me (but then a crazy person never thinks he is crazy)...

As for the tap water coming from the river.. when i loved in london i read that the water in the tap there, goes through the system 7 times before it makes it to the sea.. It goes from the thames to the tap, through the sewage system, back into the thames, from thames back into tap.........

In NZ a few years ago the consummers commission tested tap water in all major cities/towns and all the major brands of bottled water.. The results showed the tap water had less chemicals etc than the bottled water.. the reason was the residue left over from manufacturing/cleaning the bottles before filling.

The best thing healthwise and economically to do is, use tap water and then filter it in a Brita or other type of similar system as it comes out of the tap. Keep in mind that the water itself is probably fine, even being from the river, however I wouldn´t trust the pipes. If the building is old, you are guaranteed to be getting a dose of lead, as older pipes were always soldered with lead solder. If your building is new, you have plastic "PVC" piping, which is just what people are trying to avoid drinking from plastic bottles.

I drank tap water here for two years at various homes in CF without any problems. I drank the tap water in my current home for about a year and a half until one day it smelled strongly of chlorine so I haven't had it since. I'm pretty sure it had to do with the water tank being cleaned because the water doesn't smell like chlorine any more but I'm still a bit wary and continue to drink bottled.

Tap drinker here

The BsAs water has been coming from the Rio Plata for over 120 years.

Don't know one person who cares.

Napoleon said:
Tap drinker here

The BsAs water has been coming from the Rio Plata for over 120 years.

Don't know one person who cares.

I'm originally from Italy and we are among the biggest consumers of bottled water in the world. Why? Nobody knows, tap water is fine everywhere there (it usually comes straight from the mountains, it doesn't need to be purified too much or not at all), but everybody is used to buy bottled water as it is quite cheap. Same thing here in BA: I usually buy soda bottles, simply because I love sparkling water!

Bought a filter that connects to the tap for around 300 pesos which is good for 10,000 litres. Tastes fine & its lot cheaper than bottled water.

Back