Watering holes with a Bar/Pub feel

HeyBA

Registered
Hey all,

I'm hitting the half-year mark here in BA, and wanted to share some information and run the following question by you. There are tons of great spots to go out in BA, but I will never be able to make it through modern life without something that has the feel of a par/pub from the US, British Commonwealth, Ireland, etc.

I find these to be often imitated, but rarely duplicated. Here are my faves, in no particular order:

Sugar Bar, Gibraltar, Shamrock

Runners up:

Puerta Roja, El Alamo

These places have the following characteristics:

1) Mingling is a good thing. People are doing more than talking to just their friends at their own tables.

2) Foreigners are accepted or expected enough that one is shielded from unwelcoming attitudes and snubs.

3) People are present before the late night kickoff hours of porteno nightlife. I.e., you can stroll into the place at eight pm and get a drink without feeling like your in a museum after closing hours.

4) There's a set of regulars or friendly staff that give the place a warm feel.

5) It's ok to drink.

All though the following places have their merits, they are not on the list:

Casa Bar (too many yanks, like yours truly. Nice for a drink, but not what I'm looking for), The whole strip along Reconquista from Mathias to Kilkenny (there are some gems in there, moment by moment, but it ends up being a mix of turistas, el "after office", and a bit of a seedy vibe thrown in, to state things lightly.)

Please note, though the places above are definitely tourist bars, I like them for my bar/pub fix. See the difference?

Are there any gems I'm missing?

Jack the Ripper in Recoleta. Pub surroundings but a Rock Nacional Vibe.

Plus Gibraltar´s sister pub, Bangalore. A little less gritty.

You tried Unico in Palermo Hollywood (Honduras y Fitz Roy)? Very "mingly" and foreigner friendly.

Will try Unico. Looks like I need to explore Parlermo Hollywood in general. Cheers...

How come my boozing friends seem to be "in the know" posters on this thread?

"Unico" has a pub/brasserie feel on the inside, but you wouldn't necessarily see it from the outside.

There's also an Irish bar on "Uriburu" (I believe") between Las Heras & Vicente Lopez. I don't know if they are EVER "busy", but it's an Irish pub.

Also, BREOGHAN in San Telmo just moved from San Lorenzo to Bolivar and might offer a better pub vibe for a previa.

http://gastronomiconet.com/index.ph...oghan-inaugura-un-nuevo-brew-pub-en-san-telmo

WHEREVER Bar is more of a Whisky Bar and you never know if it's going to be empty of lively.

Know what you mean about WHEREVER. I'll try those other joints. Thanks

Boneapple said:
As a Brit living in BA, i would say that Gibralter is as close as it gets. It really reminds me of my favourite pubs back home in Islington!!

Except the staff is mostly rude and too cool for school. Doesn't have that Brit/Irish charm either...well besides the decore.

Back