We want dialogue! No, not here, not now!

rrptownley

Registered
Quite amusing reading on CFKs UN appearance (admittedly BBC news, but pretty unbiased).
Awkward moment when:

"[Legislator]Mr Summers tried to pass a letter offering talks with the Falklands government to President Fernandez but could not get close enough.

Argentina's foreign minister refused to take the document telling the legislator to "send it to my embassy"."

Why don't they get this stuff on camera instead of the speeches?

"Argentina's President Fernandez demands . . . . . "

Says it all really.

rrptownley said:
Quite amusing reading on CFKs UN appearance (admittedly BBC news, but pretty unbiased).
Awkward moment when:

"[Legislator]Mr Summers tried to pass a letter offering talks with the Falklands government to President Fernandez but could not get close enough.

Argentina's foreign minister refused to take the document telling the legislator to "send it to my embassy"."

Why don't they get this stuff on camera instead of the speeches?

you can watch the whole thing here.

Highlights include:

Syria talking about human rights....

CFK rambling about migrating birds, comparing flying the falklands flag to celebrating the end of ww2. (she's obviously never heard of VE and VJ day) and Argentina have the best nuclear scientists in South America...

Alec Betts the guy who helped the invading Argentine army during the war complaining that the islanders persecuted him after the war and he had to leave the islands :rolleyes:

Vernett's great great great grandson or something reading from a diary, available in all good bookshops....

Russia and China talking about the horrors of colonisation...

Everyone ignoring the Falklanders apart from Sierra Leone and Papau New Guinea who added some sense to the proceedings asking what is the point of this committee.

Thanks for the UN Live link.
Fascinating stuff. Watching it during my lunch break.
Mr Edward's delivery was almost Churchillian!

rrptownley said:
admittedly BBC news[/URL], but pretty unbiased).
he he

Probably Timmermann (whom I dislike) didn't accept the letter because Argentina does not recognise the government of Malvinas. If it was Cameron or someone from the UK he would have accepted it.

scotttswan said:
you can watch the whole thing here.

Highlights include:

Syria talking about human rights....

CFK rambling about migrating birds, comparing flying the falklands flag to celebrating the end of ww2. (she's obviously never heard of VE and VJ day) and Argentina have the best nuclear scientists in South America...

Alec Betts the guy who helped the invading Argentine army during the war complaining that the islanders persecuted him after the war and he had to leave the islands :rolleyes:

Vernett's great great great grandson or something reading from a diary, available in all good bookshops....

Russia and China talking about the horrors of colonisation...

Everyone ignoring the Falklanders apart from Sierra Leone and Papau New Guinea who added some sense to the proceedings asking what is the point of this committee.

A tour de force - from the hallucinogenic, to the moronic to the patently untrue - lies, hypocrisy and red herrings para todos. I oscillated between wanting to break something, swearing to never put those funny mushrooms in my omelette again and reaching for the nearest bucket

Full credit to PNG & Sierra Leone for the most sensible words ever spoken in that committee since the mid 70's - someone give them permanent security council membership.

Can't wait to get my copy of Migratory Birds & International Border Disputes: How to Take Over the World with Half a dozen Bar-tailed Godwits by Dra. Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner.

She was way off the mark in saying that Britain was 'celebrating war' (sic). Most of what took place yesterday were acts of remembrance both in the UK and the Falklands, in the same way that we remember 11/11 at the eleventh hour.
She obviously has an issue with flags and let herself down badly by having a go at Downing St on that issue.
Having said that, she won a very nice little propaganda battle in New York, which was I feel, her original intention in this phoney war.

Gringoboy said:
She was way off the mark in saying that Britain was 'celebrating war' (sic). Most of what took place yesterday were acts of remembrance both in the UK and the Falklands, in the same way that we remember 11/11 at the eleventh hour.
She obviously has an issue with flags and let herself down badly by having a go at Downing St on that issue.
Having said that, she won a very nice little propaganda battle in New York, which was I feel, her original intention in this phoney war.

i wouldn't say she did, the vast majority of the people in that room were part of the Argentine "mission".

Apparently these meetings are all like that, if anything the extra attention she has brought on the c24 sub committee will highlight how ridiculous they are. I think at one point they wanted to declare Puerto Rico a colony. They have also forced the people of Tokelau to have multiple referendums forcing them to become "independent" from New Zealand.

They are supposed to be a decolonisation comittee but they refuse to accept the UK's relationship with her former colonies has changed drastically and they have self rule as an overseas territory. Yet somehow accept the Spain, Netherlands, Denmark and France's modern relationships with their colonies are perfectly fine. :rolleyes:

All proving, once again, that the UN is a stupid, useless, dysfunctional, expensive vestige of a time long past. Staffed by nearly useless "diplomats" who repeatedly abuse immunity privileges.
And to add to simple-mindedness of this and most UN type events we have "Argentina's President Fernandez demands . . . . . " The Queen of a banana republic making DEMANDS on world bodies after defaulting, expropriating and switching trade policies in mid stream. Who the hell does she think she is? Common now the state of California has an economy that is alone about 8 times that of Argentinastan. End of rant.

The love the UK has for institutions fade away when they decide somethig that they believe go against their interests :rolleyes:

Back