Weekend Hiking Trip

RodalfoWalsh

Registered
Hey guys, I'd like to drive out of town this weekend with the dogs and do some light hiking in some place with mountains (or hills) and rivers/lakes.

Any recommendations? I was thinking leaving here Thursday afternoon and maybe driving back on Monday morning. Don't care at all about bars or restaurants, just want to see some nature. Have camping gear so if there is a great camping only destination I'd consider that but I'm leaning towards a place with cheap cabañas.

Lake Chascomús, highway 2 to Mar de Plata. Lake, fishing, cheap cabañas. We have never stayed there, but always stop for fish lunch on the lake. Nice relaxing place.
Nancy

Lake Chascomús, highway 2 to Mar de Plata. Lake, fishing, cheap cabañas. We have never stayed there, but always stop for fish lunch on the lake. Nice relaxing place.
Nancy
been there before, it's alright but I was hoping for something a bit more resembling a mountain or hill.

Has anyone been to Cordoba or Sierra la ventana?

been there before, it's alright but I was hoping for something a bit more resembling a mountain or hill.

No hills but if you are willing to substitute mountain bike for mountain and you'd maybe find something a bit different for you and the dogs at Lago Epecuén/Villa Epecuén

Take a look at this video and see if it might grab your imagination.

(Now you know why I mentioned mountain bikes)

Sierra de la Ventana are real mountains with a few peaks rising to about 4000'. It is also the oldest mountain range in the country. They are pretty far though in the south of BA province. Not nearly as nice as hiking in the Cascades, but they'll do in a pinch. The sierras de Tandil are really just little hills but are closer.
Cordoba would eat up much of your long weekend driving but there are many more options there. My favorite is El Champaqui in the Sierra Grande which you can do on your own and stay at lodging along the way or take a tent. You'd need a week to enjoy that though.

Uruguay has some hiking areas but most people go to the beach in summer. Cerro Catedral is the lowest country highpoint in South America at 1686.'

Last edited:
Cordoba is the best. Go by highway BA/Rosario/Cordoba. You can be there in 8 hours or less.

Went to Sierra de la Ventana because last minute weather forecast was pretty bad for Cordoba. We went and tried to climb the highest peak in the province (Cerro 3 picos) but after 6 hours of ascent us out of shape city slickers and out of shape city dogs hadn't made it to the top by the recommended turn around time but we made it most of the way and the views were incredible.

Also big thanks to elhombre for his recommendation to visit Epecuén. That place is seriously cool and I highly recommend visiting.

Back