Weird one really :) lol

Johnno

Registered
What can I say guys? We are now 90 minutes into ANZAC DAY and when I logged into BAExpats the only new thread I spotted was one for ''gay fun clubs'' or something... :(

Um - for all the Aussies out there - IS there any plan for celebrating ANZAC DAY? (i.e. remembering our war heroes/etc...)

I'm in Belgrano - and if anyone would be interested in an ANZAC DAY drinks evening or something - even shooting some pool and having a few drinks - let me know...

Back in Oz I would normally wear the medals of the last 4 generations of my family for all the wars we have fought in - and its a custom that is hard to forget - so if anyone is interested let me know...

Johnno out...

Johnno, there is always a service at the Australian Embassy, starts about 10ish and then there is a typical Anzac breakfast (beer, anzac biscuits, lamingtons, etc). If you decide to go you will need to take your passport with you.

Wow I never heard of Anzac day before! Other than what I just read on Wikipedia (just the general broad info about it), I don't know anything about it and I'm curious. Is it traditional to have a beer breakfast on Anzac? That's a fun tradition! Is it usually a solemn holiday?

Hey AngelinBA - MANY thanks for that - unfortunately I read your message too late - but there is always next year :) I'll be having a few quiet drinks at home tonight to remember the occasion - and for MorganF here is some info on what ANZAC Day is about: http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac/ There is a lot of history to it - and it has become a lot more than just the landing at Gallipoli back in 1915 (although I had family members there too) - its a time when all of Australia (and quite a few New Zealanders too) remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country...

I'm a bit older and more cynical than I was the first time I attended an Anzac Day ceremony or event - but no matter how I feel about some of the wars we have gotten ourselves involved in for me personally that never detracts from the sacrifices made by those who served...

MorganF: I don't know what the ceremony at the embassy here was like (I missed it) but back home I would often join the parade (sometimes playing the pipes) and that parade would normally end up at the local RSL club (Returned Serviceman's League) where yes, a fairly LARGE amount of beer is consumed and a fair amount of good Aussie ''tucker'' too :)

Anyway - Lest we Forget - I'll be having a few quiet ones tonight to remember...

How weird. Last night i made apple crumble and while making the crumble I thought about how the mixture resembled Anzac biscuits with the oats and coconut and sugar, guess I was subconciously celebrating Anzac Day, or drunk.

Lest we forget....

Don't worry Hoags - I was drunk myself... :) Lest we forget...

Back