West by Southeast

Saturnine

Registered
Hi everyone,

I've been reading the threads on this forum for quite a while and finally brought myself to register and write an introduction post.
I've been in Buenos Aires for about 4 months and frankly, I can't wait to wake up one day and see no more wintry rain... I left Europe just when it was beginning to smell like real spring, so I guess it figures :)
I'm a certified English and Spanish teacher, I've worked for about five years as a cultural journalist and I've translated more than a dozen books back home, from Kerouac to Auster to Susan Sontag. I'm a perfect case of the every growing layer of Bs As immigrants struggling to retain something of what they once were, whilst trying to give it up in order to make a living here.
For the moment, I'm waiting to get my birth certificate and police record from home in order to apply for residency. I've seen lots of expats in this forum have families here and have learned to adapt. Their insight would be quite welcome, as I too have decided to stay on those grounds mainly :)
all the best to y'all.

Saturnine is a very nice nickname -at least it's better than saturnism-, cultural journalist is interesting, and translating Kerouac, Auster and Sontag makes it even more interesting.

If how to adapt is the question, I guess a great deal of answers could be brought.

To adapt might mean knowing, experimenting the idiosyncracy here, thinking as an Argentinean and so on.
Knowing makes you forgive certain things while appreciating some others ?

I guess adapting means quite more than one can phrase in a question and it's just about as complicated as anything related to life-altering decisions.
I'm not having a hard time adapting to the idiosyncrasy, I speak fluent Spanish, accent and all, and I pass for an Argentine anytime. Which, however, is rather bothersome at times, because I am NOT one. I know I must count my blessings as there are many people living here complaining of all the problems deriving from not knowing the language, but sometimes the existentialist vein gets the better of me :)
My first months here have been a bit difficult because of family issues and I'm just beginning to open my eyes to everything around me and trying to get over myself, so to speak. Stepping out of the shell, meeting and talking to other people, all the things that normal people do.
Merci pour les mots d'encouragement, French jurist :)

Back