Western Union from Argentina to US?

va2ba

Registered
I've got someone in Argentina who needs to send me some money. Can they use Western Union to make a money transfer? I know that they probably can't send dollars through WU, but can they use pesos and then would the pesos be converted for me here in the US?

My wife has been trying to send money to Paraguay from here, in pesos, via WU. She told me earlier today they are now not allowing any money to be transferred out now. She's asleep right now, or I'd be more specific.

I'm going to send the money via WU on the internet instead, but I don't think that helps your friend's situation, unfortunately.

I think maybe part of the problem is that WU doesn't want pesos?

ElQueso said:
My wife has been trying to send money to Paraguay from here, in pesos, via WU. She told me earlier today they are now not allowing any money to be transferred out now. She's asleep right now, or I'd be more specific.

I'm going to send the money via WU on the internet instead, but I don't think that helps your friend's situation, unfortunately.

I think maybe part of the problem is that WU doesn't want pesos?
Last time I was at Money and More they had a sign regarding sending money to Paraguay, didn't read it, but would expect that the rate would be over 6 to the dollar, also would think they could send to the US via Xoom for you.

Greg2231 said:
Last time I was at Money and More they had a sign regarding sending money to Paraguay, didn't read it, but would expect that the rate would be over 6 to the dollar, also would think they could send to the US via Xoom for you.

Yeah, actually, good point - I'd forgotten that MMT had that option (I've only used Xoom once). It was something like 10% if remember correctly to send to Paraguay. I can still do a little better sending via my US bank account and WU to Paraguay though. My wife used to have a WU card which let her send for 5% here locally and I think it's like 8% via the web with WU.

La Paraguaya (incomienda service) is actually charging 50% (!!!!!) to send money to Paraguay now, used to be 10%.

I don't think MMT will do dollar transfers, but they MAY do peso transfers - something to look at vb2ba. Don't know how the rate will work out on your end, if they will even do pesos.

From what I see on Xoom, it is only for sending money out of the US. Their website says nothing of sending money to the US. Has anyone used Xoom for sending money to the US?

Moneygram was the only way i could send money home, and they only would send US$ to relatives

WU wont allow you to send money to the US at all. I also highly doubt any other service would either as the gov is trying to limit the flight of capital from Argentina.

Paypal may not be the worst option in the world....doubt the Gov has caught on to that yet.

va2ba said:
From what I see on Xoom, it is only for sending money out of the US. Their website says nothing of sending money to the US. Has anyone used Xoom for sending money to the US?

Xoom is the US, More Money Transfers here. I would think that if it is still allowed, MMT would get it to their Xoom partner in the States, like Xoom does to MMT on the opposite side. But IF you can get money out of the country.

By WU you could send money only to some countries now (South American + Panama + Mexico) (list of countries available at website of Western Union), not to US nor to any European country; also not more than USD 300 per month.
By MoneyGram you could send limited amount, but - only if you have USD notes (no exchange from pesos) and with extra commission (till 25%).

Back