What’s in an artichoke?

Meh, my mom and grandma (QDEP) were crazy about artichokes, but I never really liked the damn things. Too much work for too little food. I mean, 95% of it goes in the trash.

Meh, my mom and grandma (QDEP) were crazy about artichokes, but I never really liked the damn things. Too much work for too little food. I mean, 95% of it goes in the trash.
Perhaps the story can give renewed interest . We always look forward to the spring season for prepaing and eating them. Its some work in the kichen, but not difficult and certainly worth the eating. Now glad to know more about the about regional and cultural importance in Argentina.

I like artichokes, and the article was an interesting read with some useful tips, but I'm in a minority of 50% in my house when it comes to deciding what we should eat. Still, I'll have a look in the veggie place at the weekend. They're not much work in the kitchen, just boil them, and make some sauces to dip the leaves in (vinagrette is ok, but garlic is the thing). More work involved in eating them, best done with a glass of wine while reading.

I associate artichokes with winter, it must be end of season for them here in Argentina?

I associate artichokes with winter, it must be end of season for them here in Argentina?
You are correct. I usually remember the fairs and festivals occur in early spring, even though i should have been eating them all winter.

"During the first weekend of October, they organize the Artichoke Fair.

The way that they produce this perennial leafy green is admirable. The same plant bears fruit for three years, and the months in which it is not producing (November through May)..."

All time Favorite artichoke recipes

Cream of artichoke

1667607869994.png

Stuffed artichoke hearts

1667607727382.png

Artichoke omelette

1667607672308.png

Back